TORONTO GRACE HEALTH CENTRE: JOIN OUR TEAM!
The Toronto Grace Health Centre (TGHC) provides specialized care and services to those individuals who require Complex Continuing Care, Post Acute Care Rehabilitation, Palliative Care, and Transitional Care. The care and services provided at TGHC help facilitate the patient flow through the health care system and ensures recovery to those individuals who may return to their homes or to Long Term Care (LTC) facilities in their communities. As of January 2020, TGHC operates in two sites – the Main site (at Church and Bloor Sts) for 119 CCC and Palliative inpatients, and the Harbour Light site at Jarvis Street, which houses 28 outpatient beds for patients awaiting full transition into the community.
As a compassionate, caring and influential team member, you will make a personal difference in the quality of life of our patients. If you want to work in an environment where every face is familiar and where care and commitment flow to patients and staff equally, join our team and become part of the Toronto Grace family.
Manager of Infection Prevention and Control Practises (IPAC)
Closing Date: September 18, 2020
Reporting to the Chief Nursing Executive, Manager of IPAC will works closely with all departments and levels within the hospital and acts as a subject matter expert on Infection Prevention and Control matters. In this position the successful incumbent will make a significant contribution to the health and safety of patients and staff. This is an exciting time to join the Toronto Grace and make a big impact!
· Bachelor’s degree in relevant health science discipline required from a recognized educational institution; Master’s in epidemiology, quality and patient safety or related area preferred
· Minimum 5 years’ experience in infection prevention and control in an acute care setting
· Current registration with relevant professional college required
· Current registration with the Certification Board of Infection Control and Epidemiology (CIC)
· Active membership in local and national infection prevention and control associations
· Knowledgeable in infection control practices, microbiology, infectious diseases, epidemiology and statistical analysis
· Motivated self-starter with initiative and strong project management, organizational, problem-solving and coaching skills
· Proven leadership, team building and collaborative communication skills
· Demonstrated ability in settings of outbreaks or new risks to identify and access most appropriate expert resources and mobilize interdisciplinary response
· Demonstrated ability to work with individuals and teams to integrate knowledge into clinical practice
· Possesses knowledge of and is able to utilize educational principles in program development and teaching
· Demonstrates the ability to articulate infection control problems and solutions to all levels of the organization, and to external agencies and stakeholders
· Experienced in evaluative research and/or adult education
· Demonstrated satisfactory work performance and attendance history Demonstrates skill in computer databases (use of spreadsheets, Word, PowerPoint, internet and literature searches, e-mail).
· Demonstrates ability to integrate this knowledge in to clinical practice excellent attendance record.
· High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
· Ability to meet bone fide occupational requirements as outlined in the Job Demands Analysis.
· Provides advanced infection prevention and control expertise, advice and support to patient care programs and hospital support departments
· Assures compliance with legislative and accreditation standards
· Works with patient care and hospital support programs to supervise the development and evaluation of infection prevention and control practice
· Provides expert consultation to all levels of hospital staff and programs related to individual and system questions and issues related to IPAC
· As needed, provides individual consultation for hospital staff, patients and families related to complex infection prevention questions
· Reviews new literature and best practice guidelines, assesses impact of recommendations on hospital programs and develops action plans for implementation across all departments in the hospital
· Evaluates and revises hospital policies and develops new hospital policies as needed Investigates patient complaints related to IPAC and works with departments to implement action plans in response
· Supports Occupational Health Wellness and Safety in communicable disease management and provides expert advice regarding vaccination programs
· Evaluates new products and equipment for their infection risks and works with users to develop solutions for implementation
· Develops and supervises the implementation of appropriate preventative measures to protect patients and staff during construction and renovation activities
· Reviews, selects and distributes appropriate new scientific literature to stakeholders
· Provides on-going risk assessment of existing and emerging infection prevention and control risks to the hospital
· Using specialized knowledge, conducts infection control risk assessments to guide risk analysis and develop solutions for existing and emerging issues
· Remains current with evolving infectious diseases threats and changing recommendations for management, and ensures that the hospital response is coordinated and appropriate
· Participates in research protocols that will improve the hospitals ability to protect patients and staff from infections
· Supervises the development, implementation and evaluation of surveillance and quality improvement programs to reduce the risk of patient and staff infection
· Implements and conducts patient surveillance activities by adapting established criteria, best practices and evidence based research to best meet hospital needs
· Leads quality improvement teams aimed at ensuring best practices in infection prevention are implemented and proactive strategies are followed to identify, prevent and control hospital-acquired infections
· Secures cooperation of multiple departments for the development of solutions to infection control problems and for adoption of improved preventive practice
· Creates strategies for, and supervises the implementation of programs to prevent and optimally manage outbreaks
· Leads the investigation of exposure incidents and clusters of infection Provides risk assessment for incidents involving patient and staff risk
· Chairs outbreak management meetings
· Provides updated evidence to patient care programs on the prevention and management of outbreaks
· Coordinates outbreak de-briefing sessions, and working groups to reduce the risk of specific outbreaks in patient care areas (e.g. influenza, CPE)
· Develops and manages relationships with external partners and agencies related to infection prevention, patient flow and outbreak management
· Liaises with Toronto Public Health, Public Health Ontario Laboratories and Public Health Ontario in the management of communicable diseases
· Represents the hospital and department in consultation/discussion with hospital, community and government agencies and organizations
· Participates in relevant professional associations
· Works with partners (e.g. other healthcare organizations, industry, regulatory agencies) to improve regulations, expert recommendations, equipment design, and practice related to infection prevention
· Responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of the infection prevention and control education program
· Provides orientation and on-going education to all hospital staff, volunteers and contractors
· Assesses educational needs, modifies existing programs and develops new programs based on results of needs assessment
· Leads the development and implementation of education programs for patients and families Demonstrate patient-centered focus and commitment to the Mission, Vision, Value and goals of the department and the Toronto Grace Health Centre.
Qualified candidates may apply to:
To apply for this exciting career opportunity, please email your resume and cover letter by visiting our career website and please quote job # Manager of IPAC. Please visit our website to learn more about the rewards of building a career at the Toronto Grace Health Centre: www.torontograce.org We are a “Great Place to Work”. Toronto Grace Health Centre is committed to inclusive and accessible employment practices. If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process please notify the Human Resources Department.
The Salvation Army Toronto Grace Health Centre has been accredited with a 4 year Exemplary Standing in 2016 by Accreditation Canada
Thank you for your interest in The Toronto Grace Health Centre. Please note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Our Core values: Compassion, Respect, Excellence, Integrity, Committed, Cooperation and Celebration
Reference ID: Manager of IPAC
Application Deadline: 2020-09-18
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $0.00 per year
- Infection prevention& control in acute care setting: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- professional college (Required)
- Certification Board of Infection Control & Epidemiology (Required)