Position: Part Time - Recreation Assistant
Location: Dr. Turner Lodge, Fort Saskatchewan
Operating 11 facilities including seniors’ lodges, apartment buildings, and an affordable family housing complex, Heartland Housing Foundation is known as a strong, collaborative organization and a leader in the social fabric of the region. At Heartland Housing Foundation we are committed to our culture of service and excellence as we continue to serve the people of our communities.
The Recreation Assistant is responsible for assisting the Recreation Coordinator with the coordination and implementation of recreation programs designed to meet the physical, social, emotional, mental and spiritual needs of the residents. The Recreation Assistant interacts with residents, staff, residents’ families, visitors, and the general public while maintaining a high degree of professionalism at all times.
- Demonstrates a positive and respectful attitude in all interactions with staff, residents, their families and the public.
- Works within their scope of duties to support a welcoming environment for residents and their families.
- Monitors resident and family participation in events and activities to gauge resident satisfaction.
- Liaises with residents, family members, the public, and guests as needed.
- Displays a positive attitude about the activity and/or event with residents, family members, guests, staff and management. Assists with set up for events, activities, programs and related tasks as directed by the Recreation Coordinator.
- Supports recreation goals and objectives.
- Works with other recreation departments at other HHF sites, as required.
- Assists with the coordination of the Volunteer Program. This includes directing and supporting volunteers.
- A minimum diploma in Therapeutic Recreation or similar and 1-2 years experience in a related field (willing to consider at least 2-3 years related experience in absence of formal education)
- Class 4 drivers license and the ability to drive the resident bus would be an asset
- Proficient knowledge of all Microsoft Office software applications and use of the Internet.
- Enjoy working with seniors.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Effective time management and prioritization skills.
- Possess the ability to motivate and engage residents.
- 8:00am – 4:30pm
- 56 hours per pay period
- 4 days on, 4 days including weekends with occasional evenings
This position will remain open until filled. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Heartland Housing Foundation offers competitive salary and benefits packages, training opportunities and an incredible work environment. The successful candidate will be required to provide an acceptable Criminal Records Check, 30 days current.
Job Type: Part-time
- therapeutic recreation support: 1 year (Required)
- Administrative Support: 1 year (Required)