Requisition ID: 39589
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose & Function
The Legal Assistant I will provide a full range of senior legal assistant support for two or more in-house lawyers in the Litigation Practice Group in the Law Department at the City of Vancouver. The incumbent will have current and specialized legal skills and expertise directly related to one or more practice areas in this Practice Group.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide senior legal assistant support on a wide range of specialized and often complex legal documents and correspondence (including routine and non-routine correspondence and legal opinions) concerning civil litigation;
- Assist lawyers in the Litigation Practice Group with the organization, co-ordination and management of legal files from creation to close. Work is performed in accordance with established standards and procedures and includes:
- creating, maintaining and updating of a variety of records relating to litigation matters in progress;
- establishing, updating, maintaining and monitoring appropriate bring forward and limitation date systems, including determining, tracking and monitoring due dates;
- obtaining Court dates or City Council Hearing dates and setting matters for Trial or Hearing, diarizing appropriate dates, and assisting lawyers in all aspects of preparing a case including following up and resolution of outstanding matters with internal and external contacts to ensure appropriate completion of matters and/or readiness for Trial or Hearing;
- liaising with others (internal and external) to provide and receive information; and
- providing administrative support to assigned lawyers;
- Record, track and report on department statistics relating to the work performed.
Practice area responsibilities include:
General Litigation and/or Enforcement:
- Assists lawyers with litigation files (which may include matters relating to general/civil litigation, injunctions, business license hearings, chauffeur permit appeals and/or coroner’s inquests, including:
- prepares, compiles, organizes, processes, reviews, revises, formats, completes (including arranging for and/or swearing of Affidavits) and files a wide variety of court documents in appropriate Court Registry (at all levels of Court);
- arranges for service of documents as and when required;
- prepares evidence books and distributes, where required;
- notifies, subpoenas and schedules witnesses for Trial or Hearing;
- creates Lists of Documents; and
- conducts searches and obtains and organizes materials (including preparing pleadings binders as and when required) and other information for review by lawyer(s)
Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of Grade 12 plus several years’ recent related experience as a senior Legal Assistant in British Columbia with specialized skills and expertise pertaining to the Litigation Practice Group generally and the indicated practice area(s) specifically, or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of legal procedures (including regulations and practices), forms and documents and legal terminology relating to the specified practice area(s), which may include specific knowledge of procedures and requirements regarding any or all of the following: Small Claims Court, Supreme Court of BC, BC Court of Appeal; Supreme Court of Canada; Federal Court of Appeal;
- Ability to prepare, review and process a variety of legal and other documents related to the specified practice area(s);
- Ability to conduct searches at the Land Title Office and Registrar of Companies Office;
- Ability to electronically file court documents;
- Ability to adequately prioritize matters;
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail in work product;
- Considerable knowledge of legal office or legal department operations, procedures and policies;
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, grammar, punctuation
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, and a demonstrated ability to deal tactfully and effectively with professionals, the public and internal departments;
- Advanced word processing skills utilizing the full MS Office suite of tools;
- Considerable skills with a legal document management system, legal matter management system and litigation case management software;
- Ability to learn and adapt to new computer systems and technology;
- Ability to exercise independent judgment within established procedures and guidelines,
- Ability to understand, take direction and follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to work well with minimal supervision, under pressure, in a high volume environment, handling multiple tasks and managing frequent interruptions, changing priorities and tight timelines
Where operationally appropriate and subject to change, the City of Vancouver has a Flexible Work Program. This program allows staff to work remotely 1 – 4 days a week from locations that are a daily commutable distance from their work at a City worksite. At this time this position is eligible to be part of the Flexible Work Program.
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Law Department (1040)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: November, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-019: $31.56 to $37.12 per hour
Application Close: October 8, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous peoples, people of colour, 2SLGBTQ+ persons including all genders and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.