Job Title: Drop-In North Coordinator
Contract full time position (35 hours per week)
Contract Start date: ASAP; Contract End date: March 31, 2022
Reports to: Manager, Homeless Services and Housing Access
DEADLINE TO APPLY: October 4th , 2021
(interviews/hiring will commence immediately)
ACSA is a nonprofit, multi service agency addressing needs and empowering children, youth, newcomers, homeless, and otherwise underserved communities. Our core programs include housing and outreach programs, food security programs, newcomer services, youth outreach and therapy programs, child and family programs, early years’ programs, computer access programs, and community engagement.
ACSA is currently seeking a Drop-in Coordinator for ACSA Scarborough Drop-in North. Reporting to the Manager of Homeless Services and Housing Access, the Drop-in Coordinator will be responsible for the operation and oversight of a drop-in located at Midland and Sheppard Ave East. Serving people who are homeless or marginally housed, the drop-in will provide basic needs services, housing help and programs that help low-income people meet their needs and develop strategies to meet their goals.
S*ummary of Job Functions*
The Coordinator will ensure all services are delivered and provide direct staffing as needed for the effective operation of a drop-in program. The Coordinator will schedule program shifts, provide administrative supports, conflict prevention and/or resolution, crisis intervention, inter-program liaison and other activities as required to ensure the provision of high quality and coordinated services to vulnerable community participants. The work requires flexibility and adaptability as well as regular weekend work.
· Work collaboratively with the Manager of Homeless Services and Housing Access and all ACSA program staff
- Provide day-to-day supervision of Drop-in staff and volunteers
- Coordinate program delivery of Drop-in program; provide direct staffing as needed
- Ensure delivery of meal programs as required
- Provide staff and volunteer scheduling for Drop-in
- Provide day-to-day supervision, consultation and problem-solving for the Drop-In North staff and volunteers
- Support Relief Staff hiring, communications and training
- Develop, implement and maintain programs and activities in accordance with funding body service agreements
- Provide leadership to conflict prevention and intervention on-site
- Ensure that cleanliness and health standards are maintained and ensure that safety procedures are in place and monitored; provide effective waste management
- Order, receive, store and maintain inventory control of program supplies
- Monitor reporting schedules for funding relationships; establish deadlines and ensure deadlines are met
- Develop, maintain and support partner relationships and contacts
- Develop program promotional materials, publish, circulate and promote services
- Represent ACSA at various networks, committees, workgroups and other relevant meetings
- Support enhancement of systemic advocacy as applicable to program
- Ensure provision of appropriate supports to meet client needs through in-house programming and/or referral
- Provide supportive counselling, information and referrals to homeless and at-risk of homelessness clients
- Ensure coordinated client services through positive and regular meetings with program staff and case conferences
- Hold regular Drop-in meetings with participants for engagement, information sharing and program feedback
- Enter data in data tracking tools, including ICE Tool and OCASI database.
- Report monthly and semi-annually to program funding bodies and maintain statistics collection for programs, as required
- Administer and monitor program resources
- Initiate and support program evaluation as required in funding agreements
· Other Duties
- Maintain and promote positive neighbour and landlord relations
- Identify and attend training sessions related to this position
- Actively participate in regular supervision sessions, team and agency-wide meetings.
- Actively participate in ACSA programs as assigned or scheduled
- Other duties as assigned
- Diploma/Degree in Social Services/Health and a minimum of two years related experience, or a combined equivalent of education and experience
- Experience serving the homeless/under-housed/socially isolated population in a drop-in setting
· Excellent knowledge of issues related to service population such as: mental illness; addictions; suicide assessment; harm reduction; housing and evictions; criminal justice system; income support system; acquired brain injuries; trauma; etc. Training and certifications in same will be assets
· Sound counselling skills, service-planning skills and case management skills.
· Excellent knowledge of Toronto resources for homelessness, housing, health, mental health and substance abuse. Knowledge of Scarborough resources an asset.
· Familiarity with social housing applications and the Residential Tenancies Act will be considered an asset
· Current knowledge of income programs and resources available under Housing First model
· Knowledge of food services. Safe Food Handlers certification an asset.
· Ability to form relationships with marginalized individuals while maintaining strong boundaries
· Excellent crisis management and conflict resolution skills
· Excellent judgement and problem-solving skills.
· Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
· Ability to work effectively and professionally under pressure
· Strong skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel.
· Clear and concise writing skills: able to write in both formal and accessible language; demonstration may be requested
· Willing to work in an environment committed to diversity and non-discrimination
· Valid Ontario G-class driver’s license and clean drivers abstract an asset
· CPI, First Aid and CPR certification an asset
· Valid Police Records Check
The Coordinator works at ACSA Main site 4155 Sheppard Avenue and occasionally travels to locations in Scarborough and throughout the City of Toronto. The Coordinator works in office, kitchen, exterior locations and program spaces.
No phone calls please.
ACSA is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff including, but not limited to, women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, and/or persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the position. However, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
If you are contacted by ACSA regarding a job opportunity and need accommodation throughout a hiring process, please contact Yelena Galochkina, HR Generalist
Contract length: 7 months
Application Deadline: 2021-10-04
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- working with homeless populations: 2 years (preferred)