The Chef Instructor shall direct report to the Technical Director (or any person assigned by the President). He or She will maintain a close working relationship with all departments within the institute. The Chef Instructor maintains cooperative and productive working relationships with all members of the Academic and students’ services team located at Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa. The Chef Instructor first point of contact for students if they have a problems or questions.
The ideal candidate must have seven plus years of industry experience, be organized and shows a passion for sharing and learning new techniques. The successful candidate should be open to other cultures, a strong sense of pedagogy and a solid history in working at renowned houses (Michelin Star restaurants and /or luxury Hotel brands). Under the direction of the Technical Director, the Chef Instructor, is responsible for facilitating and guiding learning and providing an effective learning environment for all students. The candidate must be available to work flexible schedule, depending on the institute’s school term. The professional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
DUTIES AND RESPONSABILITIES
- Conduct in-classroom demonstrations as required by curriculum.
- Demonstrate techniques and concepts as required by the curriculum.
- Deliver clear, concise and organized lectures as required by the curriculum.
- Assess student performance through observation and interaction,
- Maintain accurate records of student attendance and performance, along with written and practical examinations.
- Assure that classes are conducted and complies with principles of food safety and sanitation.
- Provides regular feedback to students in an objective, consistent, and timely manner;
- Attends faculty meetings, orientation, graduation and other events as required by the Le Cordon Bleu (on/off Campus).
- Maintain and encourage a positive learning environment.
- Assist in research and development of new programs /curriculum development.
- Working with students and sharing their industry experience with them, building a solid work force for the future.
- Is responsible for the safety in the teaching kitchens, ensuring all equipment is in good repair and that staff and students are appropriately trained on equipment.
- Passionate about our customers / deliver exceptional customer service.
- A self-starter with good time management skills and an attitude geared to success.
- Work closely with other departments to ensure customer satisfaction is maintained.
- Highly organized individual, able to multitask and take initiative.
- Understanding of luxury and prestige brands a must.
- Participates during service of the restaurant when required.
- Participates in banquet activities when required.
- Participates in inventory counts and ordering.
- Acts as an ambassador for the company at Festivals, and external events.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Must be classically trained in the art of French Cuisine and culinary techniques.
- Must have a certificate of vocational aptitude (B.E.P. brevet d etudes professionnelles) certification plus a minimum of 7 years’ experience as a chef; with some supervisory responsibilities.
- Sanitation certified, equivalent to HACCP, National Food Safety or Advanced food safety services.
- Prior teaching experience: ability to teach different levels.
- Competent in the fundamental techniques of Classic French cuisine
- Flexible schedule to accommodate Le Cordon Bleu class schedules.
- Fine Dining experience preferred.
- Team-player with strong mentoring skills
- Experience as a participant and /or coaching students for culinary competitions
- Must possess a strong sense of urgency and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal, English and French.
- Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact in a collaborative manner with other departments and teams.
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft suite of products including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel
- Usage of technology – such as e-learning platforms
- Ability to travel.
- Prior culinary arts teaching preferred.
- Bacholar or higher degree from a Canadian university or an equivalent degree.
- Bilingual English-French;
- Restaurant/catering experience
- Basic pastry or cuisine experience
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities:
- Fast-paced environment, work under pressure, tight deadlines
- Standing for extended periods
Application deadline: 2021-06-14
Expected start date: 2021-07-02
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
All staff and students are required to follow LCB Ottawa's COVID-19 Health and Safety Handbook. LCB Ottawa strictly enforces all special COVID_19 protocols.
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (required)
- industry: 7 years (required)