The Salvation Army is an international Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity.
The Salvation Army exists to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world.
The Salvation Army Canada and Bermuda has four core values:
Hope: We give hope through the power of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Service: We reach out to support others without discrimination.
Dignity: We respect and value each other, recognizing everyone’s worth.
Stewardship: We responsibly manage the resources entrusted to us.
Position Purpose Summary: The Community and Family Services worker’s role is assist families who are seeking aid and assistance from, or have been referred to the Ottawa Booth Centre Community and Family Services. This includes ensuring the emergency food bank is well stocked and organized with needed items.
- Receive and sort products as they arrive in the Centre
- Move products from different locations in the Centre as space becomes available in the Food Bank and stock shelves as necessary
- Ensure all food items are fresh and remove any items which may become stale-dated
- Pack upwards of 50 grocery bags daily
- Transfer full grocery bags from Food Bank to CFS office and then to clients
- Responsible for the organization, maintenance and general cleanliness of the food bank
- Verify client needs and ensure they meet eligibility criteria
- Obtain appropriate documentation and signed release forms as required under the Privacy-related legislation (latest revision)
- Identify and asses client needs, considering the whole person/family unit including practical, emotional and spiritual needs
- Provide written and verbal referrals to other agencies and workers when appropriate
- Deliver services in accordance with established protocols; this includes, but is not limited to:
- Issue emergency food bags, clothing vouchers, household vouchers and emergency bus tickets transportation
- Make recommendations for financial assistance
- Provide information regarding other appropriate services provided by the Ottawa Booth Centre, including spiritual care services
- Provide services and follow-up support to emergency response victims as required
- Responsible for ensuring the CFS office is welcoming while ensuring that clients maintain their dignity
- Input client information in The Salvation Army CMS electronic system
- Maintain complete, accurate, up to date documentation in case files
- Maintain accurate and up to date statistics
- Prepares all necessary forms and letters relating to CFS emergency assistance
- Assist with seasonal programs and services
- Provide relief reception duties as necessary
- Network with community partners, including other Salvation Army units, who are referral agencies and/or sources of assistance for clients
- Attend community meetings as requested by the Supervisor of Community and Family Services
- May deal with angry and abusive clients
- May encounter verbal abuse
Education, Qualifications and Certifications:
- Relevant community college/university education in social services or related disciplines
Experience and Skilled Knowledge Requirements:
- Minimum two years’ experience working with a similar disadvantaged client population in an urban setting, effectively identifying and assessing their individual needs
- Experience in working cooperatively with community resource agencies, particularly in negotiating and advocating for client’s needs
Skills and Capabilities:
- Strong written documentation and correspondence skills
- Strong computer skills, including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Must be able to lift and move up to 20 pounds unassisted.
- Must be able to endure physical activity for long periods
- Valid 'G' driver’s license is an asset
- Bilingualism preferred (English and French)
Successful candidate will be required to provide upon hiring:
- A clear vulnerable sector screening
- A clean drivers abstract
- Participate in our online Armatus Abuse Training and Health and Safety training required upon hiring, as well as updated annually
Hours: 40 hours per week. Monday to Friday 8:00am – 4:30pm
SALARY: $17.54 per hour
Interested applicants are asked to contact the Employee Relations Department by March 20, 2020
Please indicate competition # when applying for this position.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Reference ID: 10/20
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- disadvantaged client population: 2 years (Required)