Northern Zone, Aberdeen Hospital
IMIT HIS Admitting & Registration ARH
Type of Employment:
Permanent Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Admin Professionals CUPE
Posting Closing Date:
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Manager of Health Records, the Admitting/Registration Clerk will perform clerical procedures related to chart processing control.
Specific responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Identify patients for admission/registration by following approved procedures (i.e. obtaining health card at point of registration)
- Maintain the accuracy of the Master Patient Index (MPI) in Meditech by collecting/confirming patient demographic and insurance information upon registration for each episode of care.
- Obtain insurance information on patients and input coverage numbers into NShIS and ensure patient signs all appropriate forms at time of registration for the current episode of care
- Issue a facility generated health card number as appropriate
- Assign patients to beds as advised by unit
- Incumbent utilizes NShIS
- Completes daily registration checks, to ensure data integrity is being maintained at all times
- Ensures data integrity is maintained within the Meditech system in accordance with provincial standards
- Responsible to perform day to day activities within Health Information Services as required
- Provide health records department with admission notifications
- Receive and process telephone inquiries
- Maintain appropriate registers and distribute to appropriate agencies as required
- Maintain confidentiality of all communications, written and verbal
- Process all types of patient/client documentation
- Cross training with Central Registry, Admitting and Switchboard is required
- Responsible to perform other related duties as assigned
- Grade 12 Diploma or GED
- Graduate of a recognized one year secretarial or business course
- Medical Terminology course
- Proficient keyboarding skills with clear demonstrated knowledge of Windows
- Good interpersonal and communication skills – a high degree of tact, judgment, and confidentiality
- Ability to work independently, assess situations and seek resolution if possible, in accordance with hospital policies and procedures
- Ability to work in an area with frequent interruptions
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position, including bending, carrying, walking, pushing and sitting for long periods of time
- Incumbent will be required to pass a written skills test and interview
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Hours of Work
Permanent full-time position; 70 hours biweekly
$20.0857 - $21.9045 hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date.
Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. This is a Admin Professionals bargaining unit - CUPE position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment. Only online applications are accepted.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy.
Follow us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/