Position: Residential Support Worker
Hours of Work: Midnights - 10:30 pm – 8:30 am: Thursday, Friday, Saturday
Salary: As per collective agreement
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Responsible to the Executive Director of Nova House and directly supervised by the Supervisor in accordance with Nova House’s mission, vision, goals, policies and procedures the Residential Support Worker (RSW) functions as a member of a team in providing services designed to assist women and children in crisis from domestic and/or family violence. The RSW will adhere to the values and mandates of Nova House and support the strategic direction of the organization. Every effort will be made to maintain standards and best practices that strive from a client-centered and strength focused philosophy and that encourages self-awareness, self-worth, confidence building, and increased independence without judgement and that is in the best interest of the women and children we serve.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Experience, and knowledge in working with abused women and children.
- Awareness and understanding of issues pertaining to violence and abuse, particularly to the cycle of abuse and the profile of an abuser.
- Awareness and understanding of domestic violence, PTSD,addictions, and mental health.
- Clear understanding of confidentiality and completed PHIA training.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, community liaison, advocacy and public relations skills.
- Knowledge of available community resources.
- Highly developed and demonstrated communication skills with clients, co-workers, peers, volunteers and supervisors.
- Assessment skills - particularly crisis intervention and related emotional support.
- Able to meet the physical demands of the position (lifting, cleaning, stairs etc..)
- Flexible to meet the demands of a 24/7 residential care facility.
- Current CPR, Emergency First Aid, Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, and Food Handlers Certificates.
- Clear Criminal Record and Adult/Child abuse registry check.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Clear understanding of confidentiality, boundary management and how to create a supportive relationship with clients.
- Manage accurate and timely data entry and maintain required computer skills.
- Responsibilities pertaining to the health and safety of our clients such as cooking and cleaning, including but not limited to, bed bug checks, head lice checks and treatment support.
- Maintain the Nova House residence which will include general housekeeping duties such as but not limited to general cleaning, mopping, vacuuming, laundry, removal of garbage and recycling.
- Provide crisis intervention, and emotional support to women and their children at risk of abuse who are residing at Nova House as well as telephone support through our crisis lines and other online sources.
- Conduct phone assessments to determine service needs to ensure that the provisions are maintained to uphold our mandate.
- Able to resolve and mediate conflict and/or deal with frustration and anger using non-violent techniques, critical thinking and sound judgement.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $0.00 per hour
- 10 Hour Shift
- Night Shift
- Support Work: 1 year (Preferred)