Schedule Monday -Friday; 35hrs/wk
Education Level 3 year Community College diploma in Marketing or related field
Career Level Requires a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
Department, Unit or Project Description:
The Student Wellness Centre provides three levels of support to students including Medical Services, Counselling Services and Health Promotion. Health promotion programs, campaigns and related trainings are offered through the Wellness Lounge and virtually to help students learn about health and wellness-related issues to ensure students are equipped with the skills needed for overall health and well-being. The Communications Coordinator works closely with the Wellness Education team and will develop, implement, and evaluate the strategic communications plan to enhance the overall profile of the department.
Responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating the strategic communications plan to enhance the overall profile of the department. This plan will include strategic marketing initiatives and incorporating new infrastructure to support communications activities within the department.
- Develops, implements and evaluates the communications strategic plan for the department. Develops the infrastructure to support the communications strategy on an ongoing basis.
- Authors and designs communications materials such as annual reports and newsletters. Drafts press releases for review by relevant stakeholders prior to their release. Proofreads and edits various publications authored by other staff members.
- Conducts needs assessments and develops strategies to collect necessary information within the department to develop appropriate internal and external communications.
- Evaluates departmental website and makes necessary changes regarding graphic layout and content to reflect the needs assessment results.
- Plans and guides the development of an interactive departmental website.
- Plans the production and graphic design layouts of departmental publications and other communication tools.
- Deals with a wide variety of individuals inside and outside the organization, including responding to national and international inquiries received by the department.
- Coordinates media inquiries and connects media with relevant persons in the department.
- Provides support to fundraising efforts and event planning for corporate events through the creation of appropriate marketing materials.
- Assists with the development of departmental presentations for diverse audiences.
- Stays abreast of new technologies and developments in the field to ensure the communications plan is current and relevant.
- 3 year Community College diploma in Marketing or related field.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
o Strong interpersonal and communication skills – oral, written and via social media
o Adept with various office programs (Microsoft office, teams, zoom)
o Adept using WordPress
o Excellent computer skills, graphic design skills
o Excellent knowledge related to communicating via virtual platforms for student engagement.
o Strong organizational abilities
o Excellent research skills
o Ability to work independently
o Significant knowledge related to the needs of the student body
o Ability to maintain confidentiality when working with student records
Ability to work collaboratively with other healthcare professionals and campus partners.
o This position requires a candidate who has a keen interest in health and wellness issues affecting the student population and who is willing to work evenings, and weekends
How To Apply
To apply for this job, please submit your application online.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and within the lands protected by the “Dish With One Spoon” wampum agreement.
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity.
The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
As part of McMaster’s commitment, all applicants are invited to complete a confidential Applicant Diversity Survey through the online application submission process. The Survey questionnaire requests voluntary self-identification in relation to equity-seeking groups that have historically faced and continue to face barriers in employment. Please refer to the Applicant Diversity Survey - Statement of Collection for additional information.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact:
Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247), or
Faculty of Health Sciences HR Office at ext. 22207, or
School of Graduate Studies at ext. 23679
to communicate accommodation needs.