Facilitate all aspects of food service for the program by planning, organizing, preparing, and serving meals that are nutritious, appealing, and appetizing, meeting the dietary needs of the clients. Work in the kitchen with clients so that they can learn these same skills.
Provide cleaning services necessary to maintain the facilities in a hygienic, safe, and presentable condition. This includes, but is not limited to cleaning all areas associated with food service after each meal. Provide laundry related services for the program
- 5 Month Contract in transitional housing program
- Scheduled from 2-6 Monday to Friday (20 hours a week)
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare weekly menus, observing Canada’s Food Guide with client and staff input.
- Prepare a weekly grocery list, based on the week’s menu and program needs. Ensure all needed items are on hand to provide meals as planned.
- Purchase supplies/ grocery shop, ensuring adherence to the program budgets.
- Facilitate daily food preparation tasks related to meal plan to be performed by program staff.
- Prepare, cook and serve regular and special diet foods, according to prescribed menus and recipes, while on shift.
- Food preparation tasks as necessary to facilitate meals: i.e., set tables and transport food and beverages to serving area; serve food and beverages; clear tables; operate dishwasher; wash dishes, glassware, silverware and cooking utensils.
- Teach clients skills associated with kitchen and household management: menu planning, budgeting, proper food storage methods, general cooking skills, cleaning, safe use of appliances, proper storage and handling of household chemicals.
- Balance receipts for all food and house supply purchases.
- Clean appliances, equipment, utensils, storerooms, and cupboards as needed. Maintain clean and well organized food storage, preparation, and service areas.
- Ensure that the kitchen is left in a safe and secure condition at the end of each day.
- Perform laundry tasks, including but not limited to sorting, washing, drying, and folding sheets and towels.
- Work cooperatively as a member of the program team.
- Review the nutrition and food service program with the Program Manager periodically.
- Participate in team meetings and agency functions as requested.
- Assist with other duties related to the day-to-day operation of the house as assigned.
- Work in compliance with all health and safety policies, procedures and guidelines, and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Report in writing all accidents, injuries and incidents.
- Follow all agency policies, procedures and directives.
- Must be an experienced cook, possessing knowledge of basic principles of good nutrition and menu planning; have demonstrated ability to plan for and exercise economy in shopping, in planning, preparing and serving nutritious meals and snacks.
- Must have housekeeping experience and a good working knowledge of basic housekeeping tools, materials, and practices.
- Background in Human Services.
- Minimum three years related work experience.
- An up-to-date first aid certificate.
- The ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check)
Job Types: Part-time, Contract
Salary: $19.95 /hour
- related Human Services: 3 years (Required)
- Driver's Licence (Required)