Reports To: Manager, Culinary Operations
Mission: To create an environment that inspires a passion for student success.
Desired Results of the Position:
- A professional and reliable culinary service that serves the Algonquin Students' Association community
- Leadership by example that inspires all staff to deliver excellent work
- Active two-way communication between management and staff that ensure effective operations
Nature and Scope:
The First Cook, under the direction of the Manager, Culinary Operations will facilitate excellent food and beverage service. They will lead by example and specialize in preparing raw ingredients and recipes that enable the Observatory, ARC Restaurant, and Students' Association Catering to succeed. This individual will support operations of the Observatory, ARC Restaurant, and Students' Association Catering services.
A First Cook will build effective relationships, provide the highest commitment to quality, and help build customer loyalty. They will act as a mentor among the part-time staff team in the kitchen and lead by example to ensure that all recipes, preparations, and presentations meet the Observatory's specifications and commitment to quality.
- Work with the Manager, Culinary Operations and set a positive example for part-time staff.
- Mentor and help to train new staff
- Reinforce a positive work environment that produces a high level of satisfaction among all customers, staff, fellow employees, and clients.
- Ensure proper recipe and presentation standards for each menu item.
- Execute all aspects of daily back of house operations are completed to the highest quality standards and in a timely fashion. These include; food preparation, temperature logs, cleaning schedules, opening checklists, closing checklists, and equipment maintenance schedules.
- Help to execute catering and special orders, and work outside regular hours.
- Follow health and safety, and sanitation guidelines for all products and equipment.
- Stock, clean, and organize the back of house area as required.
- Maintain, clean, and properly store all equipment and supplies.
- Follow operational policies and procedures, ensure the safety of all the employees during each shift.
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality.
- Know all menu items, follow proper assembly instructions for all menu items and specials.
- Assist in training staff. Teach preparation and recipe standards
- Record waste, breakage and damage in provided logs and reports them to the manager on duty.
- Familiar with all the first aid stations, supplies, and equipment. Report any injuries or accidents to the manager on duty immediately.
- Wear clean and proper staff attire require at all times when working.
- All other duties as assigned
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to mentor and lead by example
- Ability to follow recipes and preparation instructions
- Ability to perform under pressure, in a time sensitive environment
- Quick learning
- Good knife skills
- Maintain an effective working relationship with managers, and other employees
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Over six months of experience in kitchen operations
- Willing to work non-traditional shifts
- Completion of culinary education is an asset
- Work in a restaurant setting, with exposure to extreme temperatures
- Manual dexterity is required to use a desktop computer, tablet, knives, and other equipment
- Ability to lift 40lbs required
- High stress fast paced environment
- Food handlers Certificate (required)
- OWHSA (required)
- WHMIS (required)
- CPR (preferred)
- First Aid certificate (preferred)
- Smart Serve (preferred)
- Contract term: August 29th 2022 – April 21st 2023
- Salary: $18 per hour based on a 40 hour work week
- Eligible for Back of House tip out
- Work week will be flexible with some weeks being more hours and some less hours
- 4% vacation pay per pay period
Algonquin Students’ Association values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We offer an inclusive work environment and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Workplace accommodations are available.
While we thank all those who apply, only those to be interviewed will be contacted. If interested please forward cover letter and resume to:
Nathan Buschmann Manager, Culinary Operations
Algonquin Students’ Association
1385 Woodroffe Avenue
Ottawa, ON K2G 1V8
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 8 months
Salary: From $18.00 per hour
Application deadline: 2022-08-12
Expected start date: 2022-08-29