Vancouver Foundation is Community Inspired. Our vision is to create healthy, vibrant and livable communities across BC. We do this by bringing together generous donors and linking their contributions to important work that addresses the needs of our communities. Vancouver Foundation is considered a local, regional, national and international leader in responsive and proactive grantmaking and community capacity-building initiatives and collaborations.
For a view into our world, please visit our website: www.vancouverfoundation.ca
About the Position
We are seeking a personable and professional Manager, Finance to join our dedicated team. The position reports to the Senior Manager, Finance and will work closely with a dynamic team of experienced CPA’s. This role provides a unique career opportunity both provide and receive mentorship within a team focused on learning and development.
The valued competencies for this role include the ability to continuously seek methods for improving processes and efficiency; being adaptable and flexible in a changing workforce environment; actively listening and speaking in a clear and thorough manner; working cooperatively with others who have various perspectives; and maintaining positive working relationships with internal and external individuals.
- Ensuring timely and accurate complex technical accounting and financial reporting, including financial statements and fund holder statements.
- Reviewing and improving month end close processes and supporting documentation.
- Preparing quarter end close processes with robust documentation and analysis.
- Preparing complex cashflow forecasting and monitoring cash balances.
- External audit preparation and interacting with external auditors.
- Value added contributions to significant automation and ERP improvement projects.
- Preparing Canadian and US annual compliance reporting.
- Preparing or reviewing complex accounting reconciliations.
- Maintaining compliance with internal controls and identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Ensuring appropriate supporting documentation for all financial transactions.
- Mentoring bookkeeping and transaction processing staff and helping to identify opportunities to streamline and automate high volume processes.
- Support for financial inquiries from internal staff, fund holders and donors.
- Collecting, interpreting and analyzing financial data.
- Participation in ad hoc accounting, finance and information technology projects.
Experience and Education
- CPA (CA, CGA, CMA) designation
- A minimum of 3 years experience in an accounting role
- A minimum of 2 years experience in a Manager role
- Experience at a medium or large public accounting firm
- Advanced MS excel skills, including macros, Power Pivot and Power BI
- Exceptional team player, flexible in sharing roles and responsibilities
- High level of comfort with technology
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, changing environment with both experienced accounting professionals and non-professional staff
- Exceptional time management and organizational skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including ability to adapt to specific audiences including individuals outside of the finance sector
- High attention to detail
- Comprehensive and up-to-date understanding of accounting standards for non-profits
- Advanced MS Office skills (including complex pivot tables)
- High level of professionalism and ethics
- Experience implementing financial software and related tools
- Robust experience identifying and implementing process improvements in finance and accounting through automation
- Familiarity with Canadian and US non-profit reporting requirements
- Exposure to complex fund accounting and cashflow forecasting
- Able to recommend to operational best practices
Salary Range: $70 – 90K with an awesome benefits package. 35 hour work week.
How to Apply
If this sounds like you, please submit your covering letter and resume December 1, 2019 and be sure to quote position number 2019-14 in the subject line.
Vancouver Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer: We are committed to the principles of equal and inclusive employment opportunities without regard to race, colour, religion, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, domestic partnership status or any other status that is representative of the communities we work in. Vancouver Foundation encourages applicants from all communities.
We kindly ask for no phone calls please. Applicants will receive an emailed response confirming receipt of their resume submission. Due to the high number of applications Vancouver Foundation receives, only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted. Periodic updates regarding recent postings are published on our
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 to $90,000.00 /year
- Managerial: 2 years (Preferred)
- accounting: 3 years (Required)
- CPA designation (Preferred)