The Alma Mater Society (AMS) is the University of British Columbia’s (UBC) student society, and works to improve the academic, social and personal lives of the 56,000 UBC students at its Vancouver campus. The AMS also runs nine food and beverage outlets, a catering and conference operation, and the AMS Student Nest, providing on-campus employment opportunities and generating revenue that goes directly back into supporting the students at UBC.
Sous Chef - Catering & Production
Food & Beverage
Catering & Production Chef
Catering and kitchen employees
Hours per week:
The Sous Chef - Catering & Production is responsible for the overall financial and operational success of the food preparation side of the AMS catering & production department, within the Student Union Building (SUB) and to our external clients. This role requires a self-motivated individual with excellent culinary, leadership, and organizational skills to ensure timely and professional catering service to our internal and external customers, as well as the supervision of the production team in the C&P kitchen. The ideal candidate is a hands-on, experienced manager with superior culinary and customer service skills and intermediate computer skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Adhering to all AMS policies and procedures as well as other entity regulations such as Food Safe, Liquor laws etc.
- Providing friendly, prompt, courteous, professional service to all guests
- Ensuring successful execution of all catered events according to AMS and client standards
- Meeting cost targets through analyzing cost centers and adjusting inventory levels, labor and expenses
- Writing, maintaining, updating and ensuring to all AMS production & catering recipes according to AMS guidelines in communication with the Food & Beverage Manager
- Ensuring 100% adherence to AMS recipes
- Ensuring 100% compliance with all legal requirements and AMS policies and procedures, e.g. Food Safe, WHIMS, etc.
- Actively managing human resources responsibilities such as but not limited to hiring, scheduling, training, briefing, mentoring, developing, evaluating, disciplining employees (including termination)
- Supporting the catering team in executing catered events
- Supervising the production team and production schedule in the absence of the C&P Chef
- Working with the AMS mission statement and values to operate a successful department
- Shift work (daytime, evenings, weekends and holidays), on call
- Training and developing new staff
- Occasionally delivering and executing offsite caterings
- Over seeing outlet culinary operations when necessary
- Inventory rotation and management
- Other duties as required
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 3 years kitchen management experience. Catering experience is an asset.
- Minimum Food Safe Level 1 certification or higher
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to lift up to 25 kg
- Ability to do shift work (daytime, evenings, weekends and holidays), on call
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally & written
- Experience in working with youth an asset
- Intermediate computer skills with proficient knowledge of MS Office (Outlook, Word & Excel)
- Proficient knowledge in Optimum Control an asset.
- Language: Required to speak, read and write English, with fluency in other languages being an asset
- Production kitchen experience an asset
Please submit a resume and cover letter by clicking the "Apply Now" button below.
Open until filled. Please apply ASAP to ensure that your application is reviewed.
The Alma Mater Society of UBC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status or any other characteristic protected by law. We invite all qualified candidates to apply online with their resume and cover letter. Due to the large volume of resumes we receive at the AMS, we are only able to contact those we are interested in interviewing and cannot reply to email/phone/walk-in inquiries regarding application status.