The ‘Operations Supervisor’ role oversees warehouse and transportation operations of a dedicated McDonald's distributorship with responsibility for planning/scheduling of manpower and equipment of the hourly workforce while nurturing an environment that maximizes employee safety, involvement and morale. Further, this position will administer and monitor daily dispatch while maintaining a master delivery schedule and providing interpretation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Within the scope of his/her responsibility, the operations supervisor ensures safety is a number one priority through effective daily communications and action plan execution with employees while advocating injury/collision risk management and incident avoidance. The incumbent will further ensure optimized equipment utilization while driving overall cost reductions without impacting store delivery targets/service.
This position provides strong technical support as well as direction, guidance & leadership to the Warehouse and Transportation Departments at an assigned distribution centre.
- Plan and execute daily manpower Requirements for current day and week, keeping overtime to a minimum
- Conduct daily shift meetings, communicating appropriate safety and operational messages, taking suggestions and answering questions
- Assign daily work duties to drivers and warehouse workers ensuring safety, service and productivity and reliability Requirements are met
- Manage work flows efficiently, meeting the Requirements of our Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Maintain Syntellic, Paragon and Xatanet programs (knowledge of these software packages an asset)
- Create and maintain production and/or master delivery schedules, including route, restaurant and other pertinent information
- Maintain associated employee bids
- Maintain statistical information on employees, productivity, reliability, equipment, fuel, mileage, delivery schedules, service etc.
- Prepare and upload the daily route trial, adjusting options for greatest opportunity in maximizing safety, service and cost efficiencies
- Audit all drivers trip records for legal and process legitimacy
- Maintain and audit weekly payroll entries for drivers and/or warehouse workers
- Provide training, support and direction to employees to ensure understanding of and adherence to standard operating procedures (SOP’s)
- Oversee quality control for in-house and en-route product
- Conduct near miss, injury and collision investigations, completing corrective actions promptly and communicating resolutions broadly
- Communicate across Warehouse, Transportation and Customer Service departments regarding possible issues impacting our customer or one-another
- Review service providers’ performance to ensure service and quality Requirements are met and cost controls are met.
- Perform supervisory functions which include follow up with drivers and/or warehouse workers while holding employees accountable through recognition & discipline.
- Demonstrate leadership through effective teamwork and demonstrating a positive attitude
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships across the company
- Participate in training, inspection, investigation and continuous improvement programs
- Collect and record statistical information for reporting purposes.
Facility & Equipment
Required Skills and Experience:
- Ensure compliance with industry, company and sanitation standards, including making sure physical plant and transportation equipment is free from hazards and meets legislated Requirements .
Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in business, engineering, logistics or related field.
Ideally shall have three to five years’ experience in high-volume, food service, unionized distribution or logistics.
One to three years of progressively responsible supervisory experience
Strong computer software (ie. MS Office) skills required
Experience with Routing and Onboard Software, a strong asset
Leadership Competencies required
Integrative thinker and excellent problem solving skills.
Strong work ethic, ability to multi-task in a high pressure Work Environment
Attention to detail, organization skills
High initiative, self-motivation
Strong, interactive team player.
Excellent time management skills, ability to manage multiple priorities.
Ability to produce accurate and timely reports.
Excellent communication and presentation skills (verbal and written).
(Leadership – Supervisors and Managers)
Manages people, processes, and resources to meet the strategic priorities
Executes on plans to drive business outcomes
Seeks to understand the changing needs of the industry
Manages finances to ensure limited resources are used wisely
Developing Self & Others
Identifies, develops, and retains talent
Delegates authority as appropriate
Identifies and acts to address performance gaps and to reward contributions
Maintains a culture of inclusion so everyone can succeed
Provides ongoing feedback and coaching
Prepares future leaders for success through development
Seeks opportunities for and delivers continuous improvement
Continuously improves safety and wellness
Communicates about changes to ensure buy-in to the change
Explains the reasons for change and communicates the change plan
Executes changes effectively, following clear plans and processes
Keeps people informed about business results and progress
Provides clear, consistent, timely, respectful communications
Is approachable and visible
Demonstrates organization’s values and an environment of openness and inclusion
Develops relationships built on trust and open communication
Contributes to and encourages an open exchange of ideas and opinions
Acts in accordance with the organization’s mission, vision, and values
Holds self and others accountable and pursues excellence
Eliminates barriers to success
Sets challenging goals to continuously elevate performance
Achieves results while upholding ethics, integrity, compliance and company values
Focuses on the critical priorities including safety and wellbeing
We offer a highly competitive salary together with a generous benefits and RRSP contribution package.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Due to the nature of our business in regard to such things as delivery schedules, order inputs, selection, and Hours of Service, overtime, attendance and punctuality are essential job functions. Should an individual in this classification not be able to adhere to this requirement due to a disability, they should contact their Human Resources department to see what, if any, reasonable accommodation may be made.
Martin-Brower of Canada Co. is an equal opportunity employer