For almost 100 years, Ryder has provided customers around the world with integrated transportation, logistics, and supply chain management solutions that enhance the way they do business. Building and maintaining a fleet takes time, resources, and expertise few companies can spare.
We are a Fortune 500 company with 800+ locations and over 40,000 employees across the US and Canada! Employee satisfaction is part of our culture.
About the Position:
The Mobile Service Technician position will diagnose problems and perform major and technically difficult repairs and preventive maintenance services on different types of vehicles through the use of their mobile service truck and tools. The mobile service truck, tools, and inventory must be maintained and kept in serviceable condition at all times as per company policy and procedures. The Mobile Service Technician will interact with relevant business support members and departments as needed. When working in a higher classification which they do not possess the skill to perform independently, the incumbent will be assigned to work with the assistance of a Technician 4, Technician in Charge, Shop Supervisor, or Service Manager. Task assignments are directed by shop management to encourage development in a productive manner. This position is primarily off-site and will not be assigned to a specific location, which will require extensive travel and exceptional customer focus. The Mobile Service Technician will be represent Ryder and interact with customers in order to establish a relationship and promote and develop business opportunities to up-sell Ryder's products and services. After the work shift has been completed, depending on the distance of the nearest Ryder service location, the Mobile Service Technician may take assigned mobile service truck home, but will be required to secure vehicle and contents as per company policy.
Type: Full-Time, Perm
Wage: $35 - $39 per hour depending on experience.
Shifts: Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm
Signing Bonus : $2,000
Locations: Burlington and surrounding area
- Weekly pay.
- Excellent benefits package after 30 days.
- 10 days of Paid Time Off upon hire
- Boot Voucher
- Retirement Pension Plans.
- Stock options.
- A safe, friendly and respectful working environment.
- Ensure proper maintenance of all service, safety and environmental records required to meet and/or exceed corporate, federal, state, and local government mandated requirements
- Accountable for key maintenance measurements established by company policy, related to the inspection and performance of PMs, brakes, tires, wheels, including any maintenance items directly associated with the safety of the customer
- Act as a mentor for the Mobile Technician II and III level
- Interact with customer, exhibit account management skills to independently facilitate preventative maintenance, repair issue resolution, and discuss new repair estimates with customer.
- Coordinate work schedule as required by customers.
- Road test vehicles to identify cause of complaints for repairs, ensure quality of repair work performed, and deliver customer satisfaction.
- Preventive maintenance (PM) and vehicle repairs responsibilities include but is not limited to:
- A/C & Heater: Operate the system and recognize if the system is cooling or not (PM related); Perform system checks such as power to compressor, visual inspection of condenser, belt tension, etc; Identify Freon and oil leaks
- Brakes-Air: Identify components of air brake system; Operate brakes and identify irregular noises, air leaks; Perform simple air system tests; Measure lining thickness; Adjust brakes; Perform air brake sections of P.M.; Measure drums, rotors, cam bushings Perform brake repairs per BA 298 once trained and qualified
- Brakes-Hydraulic: Road test for proper operation; Make visual inspections for leaks; Check park brake operation; Check fluid level; Measure lining thickness; Adjust service brakes; Perform brake repairs per BH 298 once trained and qualified; Adjust park brakes
- Cargo Handling/Transfer, Liftgates: Identify leaks; Operate lift gate; Identify make and model; Add fluid to bring to proper level; Make minor adjustments to lift platform and its controls; Identify basic malfunctions
- Charging Systems (electrical): Visually inspect batteries; Clean connections; Check condition of belts; Test batteries; Check alternator mounting and pulley; Replace and adjust belts; Perform basic charging system check
- Clutch: Lubricate throw-out bearing, linkage, shafts, and cables; Identify proper clutch operation; Identify proper clutch brake operation
- Cooling Systems: Check and adjust coolant levels; Visually inspect system for leaks; Make minor repairs such as hose replacements, fan shrouds, leaking fittings; Recognize permanent antifreezes and their requirements; Use refractometer; Use pressure tester; Flush and refill systems
- Cranking System (electrical): Inspect and test batteries; Visually inspect cables and cranking motor; Clean the battery cables, connections and starter; Replace batteries; Charge and check batteries; Replace or repair defective cables
- Lighting System and Electrical Accessories: Repair minor wiring problems; Replace bulbs, lenses and simple light assemblies; Repair minor lighting problems; Replace and adjust sealed beams; Install or replace accessories such as heated mirrors, fans, spotlights
- Drive Axles: Inspect housings for leaks; Change oil and filter, if required, and clean breathers
- Driveline: Lubricate drive line; Inspect components for wear or damage
- Gas Engines-All Engines: Check and adjust oil levels; Identify unusual noises, and oil leaks
- Fuel Systems: Replace and prime fuel filter; Check gas and diesel fuel system components such as fuel lines, pickup tubes, return lines, etc. for proper integrity and condition
- Preventive Maintenance: Proper lube techniques; Minimal tire inspection; Brake check/applied stroke; Battery check; Under vehicle check/loose components; Initial Fault code identification; All PMs (PM 298) including C supplements to exclude overheads, engine brake overhauls, DPF servicing, clean doser injector, servicing ArvinMeritor unitized hubs, inspect Lece Neville alternator brushes, inspect modulator system for proper operation, inspect/adjust shift selector cable, pop test Isuzu injectors
- Steering and Non-driven Axles and Alignment: Lubricate grease fittings, check and adjust fluid levels; Check and adjust toe; Check all steering components for wear; Check and adjust trailer axle alignment; Adjust wheel bearings including replacement of wheel seal
- Suspension-Chassis and Cab: Identify makes and models; Identify normal operation; Identify and repair minor air leaks; Identify malfunctions of basic nature, broken springs, excessive wear on bushings, etc
- Tire and Wheel Maintenance: Perform air pressure checks; Check tread depth; Identify tires that need to be changed or repaired; Perform tire P.M. checks; Replace tire and wheel assemblies; Mount/dismount and rotate tires; Perform tire/wheel checks/repairs per TW298
- Vehicle Coupling System (PM): Lubricate fifth wheel plate and slider mechanism; Operate slider mechanism
- Utilize key functions of Shop Management System and electronic documentation available. - Perform work in accordance with all federal/ provincial and corporate compliance guidelines (i.e. safety, DOT). Use internal and external maintenance documents
- Performs other duties as assigned
- H.S. diploma/GED required in general studies
- 310T License required
- Valid Driver's License required (Class G2 or above)
- Four (4) years or more in advanced mechanical repairs and diagnostics on heavy duty and medium duty equipment required
- SBTIII trained (SBT220)
- Complete all OEM on-line diagnostic scan tool software courses as required by location fleet mix. Complete Instructor led OEM courses as required to support location fleet mix
- Tire & Wheel safety trained (TW220)
- PM qualified (PM230 & PM298)
- Brake Air qualified (BA220 & BA298)
- Must meet federal qualifications of brake mechanic and inspectors (FMCS 396.25)
- Brake Hydraulic qualified (BH220&BH298)where appropriate
- A/C recycling & recovery certified (CF609)
- A/C qualified (AC220&AC298)
- HD electrical trained (DR208)
- Valid Commercial Driver License (CDL) CLASS A
- Non Commercial Driver License CLASS E
- PM, Brakes, A/C, Electrical, Electronics
- Master Mechanic
- Must have minimum tools required to perform their job duties as outlined in Ryder's Maintenance policy 2.02
- Able to take home assigned mobile service truck as applicable and secure vehicle and contents (preferred)
- Must be able to drive Ryder vehicles
- Ability to understand and adhere to Company policies in all areas
- Proven hands-on mechanic, customer service, and account management skills
- Ability to complete repair orders with the Company established systems
- Demonstrates customer service skills
- Strong relationship management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to create and maintain professional relationships within all levels of the organization (peers, work groups, customers, supervisors)
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team
- Ability to prioritize workload
- Flexibility to operate and self-driven to excel in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter and self-sufficient approach
- Capable of multi-tasking, highly organized, with excellent time management skills
- Detailed oriented with excellent follow-up practices
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Job Category: Technicians
Ryder is an equal opportunity employer. We value Diversity and Inclusion in the workplace and encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, visible minorities, aboriginals and persons with disabilities.
In accordance with our commitment to diversity and inclusion, Ryder welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment, selection, and assessment process. Should you require an accommodation, please inform the Human Resources representative of the nature of the accommodation requested so that we may discuss your needs with you. If you require assistance in order to apply please contact us at 226-213-4040.
Ryder est un employeur offrant l’équité en matière d’emploi. Nous valorisons la diversité et l’inclusion en milieu de travail et nous encourageons tous les candidats qualifiés à postuler, y compris les femmes, les minorités visibles, les autochtones et les personnes avec un handicap. (L'emploi du genre masculin dans ce texte ne se veut pas discriminatoire et n'a pour but que de l'alléger)
Conformément à son engagement envers la diversité et l'inclusion, Ryder accueille et encourage les candidatures de personnes handicapées. Des accommodements peuvent être proposés sur demande pour les candidats qui participent à toutes les sphères du processus de recrutement, de sélection et d'évaluation. Si vous nécessitez un accommodement, veuillez informer le représentant des ressources humaines de la nature de l'accommodement souhaité afin que nous puissions discuter de vos besoins avec vous. Si vous avez besoin d'assistance pour postuler, veuillez nous appeler au 226-213-4040.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $35.00-$39.00 per hour