Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Senior Data Engineer, Analytics and Business Planning – Canadian Business Banking
The Senior Data Engineer leads the development, ongoing management and enhancement of Commercial data infrastructure to enable development and management of MIS, Business analytics and the Data Science vision for the Canadian Business Bank.
The Senior Data Engineer receives direction from the Director, Analytics and Business Planning and Commercial Banking Directors, VPs, Senior VPs and works independently to identify, develop and implement strategies and achieve results.
A high degree of judgement is required to effectively review and analyze initiatives, as well as to create directions for various projects.
This position will have direct reports.
- Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
- Lead the development and management of database for Commercial Bank
o Plan and build data architecture for Commercial Bank
o Develop new or enhance features across the platform:
data pipelines, new datasets, efficient interfaces, and interactive visualizations
o Architect the generation of powerful datasets to bring successful analytics to market
o Ensure data architecture encompasses all business lines and segments for Commercial Bank, 30+ source systems as well as all data dimensions including but not limited to client demographics, balance sheet & revenue information, operational & sales activity data
o Learn the business strategy and generate ideas for insightful tools
- Ensure data integrity and timely availability of data for generation of accurate and timely MIS and analytics
o Ensure data ingested and produced in the database has gone through rigorous data integrity checks including but not limited to comparison against financial reporting systems
o Work with data users, sales team and management to ensure datasets produced are meet their analytic needs
o Identify data elements that are sub-optimal for generation of MIS and business analytics and work proactively with source systems and other team members to improve quality of data
o Ensure data is available on a timely basis for generation of daily, weekly, monthly MIS as well as adhoc analytic needs
o Enable quick speed to market for new data needs for the Commercial bank
- Lead development of hardware environment and analytical playground for the Commercial Bank
o Assess, develop and manage hardware environment and software requirement for the database
o Incorporate needs of multiple data users with a variety of technical skill sets
o Ensure analytic environment supports high powered computing, multiple software applications, multi-tenancy, data storage, data backup and other infrastructure needs for the analytics team
- Bring cutting edge data solutions and next generation technology to Scotiabank
o Keep abreast with latest database technology and data solutions
o Actively bring new cutting-edge solutions to Scotiabank
- Supports data steward function for Commercial Banking
- Manage key stakeholder relationships in relation to development of databases and infrastructure
- Works collaboratively with members of the Commercial Analytics, Data Science and Analysis group, IT&S, Salesforce and other key stakeholders to ensure appropriate data infrastructure is in place
- Work with technology and other relevant stakeholders to ensure data infrastructure developed is consistent with the overall technology/data vision for the bank
- Understands how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
- Builds a high-performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team. Develops team expertise in data engineering and strong analytics capabilities
Education / Experience / Other Information
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field or relevant experience
- Master’s degree in Computer Science – preferred
- 7+ years of data engineering and software experience
- Enjoy discovering and learning new technologies
- Detailed experience in the following: Unix, Mainframe, SQL, SAS, Python, other programming tools
- Experience with large data sets and working with SQL, Hadoop, or other database structures
- Experience with Python and/or Scala
- Hands-on development in a distributed data environment an asset
- 3 + years experience in a people management role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Strong prioritizing, analytical, presentation, project management and planning skills
- Effective strategic thinking, organizational know-how and influencing skills are critical for success
- High degree of knowledge of commercial products and profit drivers
- The role requires a high degree of collaboration across wide ranging groups: Global Banking & Markets (GBM); GBP; Finance, Wealth Management, Retail Small Business, and various Commercial Banking areas. Works with various partners using influence and negotiation skills to ensure objectives are met.
- Strong technical skills in Math, Computer Science or related fields
- Excellent design and delivery capabilities
- Ability to work non-standard work hours as required
Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.