Youth Support Worker
Position starts at $16.00, but may range due to each applicant's overall qualifications and experiences.
Seeking to cover various positions for Monday-Sunday: 9pm-9am and 9am-9pm and full weekends (Fri-Sun).
Supports Through Dreaming Rainbow (STDR) has existed since 2014 as a non-profit organization that supports and creates opportunities of empowerment for individual, children and young adults, with disabilities across Stony Plain.
We believe and deliver Person-centered, Trauma-informed, Strength-based, Trust-based intervention as our best practices when supporting individuals who experience barriers to opportunity and access.
Employees will be expected to have, and be able to:
- Adhere to policies, procedures and commit to values and philosophies of STDR;
- Participate in ongoing learning to improve our agency’s best practices;
- Strong communication skills that are professional and respectful manner with individuals and their families we support, staff, and community representatives;
- Work with Social Solutions, our electronic database or possess computer skills.
Highly skilled working with high behaviours
- Awareness of individual’s behaviours and multiple environments and take action if an incident occurs;
- Attentive and proactive to potential verbal, physical violence in the workplace as challenging behaviours (physical & verbal aggression, threats and property damage and socially inappropriate comments) occur on a daily basis;
- Knowledge of basic health and safety regulations and guidelines for health and safety of STDR;
- Work with multiple persons served, as well as, with staffing teams – with and without direct supervision;
- Use de-escalation techniques to deal with challenging behaviours on a daily basis;
- Experience with FASD, ADHD, developmental delays, epilepsy, Disruptive Behaviour Disorder, PTSD.
- Skilled and experienced in working with youth with mental health challenges and behavioural complexities
Express Positive Role modelling
- Assist, support, encourage basic living, social skills, academic skills, home living through modelling desired actions and behaviour;
- Assist and support individuals to build and maintain relationships through meaningful participation and inclusion. Including but not limited to: employment, volunteer, recreational, and other social settings
Support Case management
- Support goal-setting and implementation while support planning of Individuals to best support them in their transition plans
Position Requirements and Responsibilities
- Residential Programming: conduct interactive activities that support the personal development of the individuals we support;
- Educational and Life-Skills Building: guide various areas of learning for individuals we support;
- Community and Recreational Programming: participate in swimming and other activities;
- Personal Care: providing medication and meals, supporting individuals with hygiene, household duties (laundry and cleaning).
Employees will be provided:
- Starting Wage at $16.00 with the opportunity of growth in our agency;
- Flexible shifts and accommodate full weekend shifts and various shifts;
- Various In-house Agency training opportunities:
- SIVA (Trauma-informed)
- Abuse Prevention
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
- Medication Administration
- Safe Bathing
- Positive Behaviour Supports (PBS)
- Food Safety
- Policy and Procedure
- Benefits and Self-care days upon 6 months of full-time employment;
- and much more!
- High school or equivalent is required;
- Post-secondary Diploma or Degree is preferred;
- Child and Youth Care (CYC) background and or experience is ideal;
- Human Services and Social Sciences, Community and Disability Support Services;
- Health Care Aid and Nursing certification;
- Medical and Pharmaceutical certifications.
- Clear Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Intervention Check;
- Ability to manage physical demands of sitting, standing, carrying, reaching and lifting up to at least 50 pounds;
- Class 5 Driver's Licence and 2-million-dollar insurance is required;
- Drive individuals (in your own vehicle) within the community.
- First Aid & CPR is preferred.
- Disability or Community Support Services (preferred);
- Trauma-informed care and practice(preferred) and Non-Violent Crisis Intervention;
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Experience with Social Solutions is an asset;
- Experience with working with high behavioural and complex children and adolescents.
Please submit a resume and Cover Letter.
Candidates who have been selected for an interview will be notified.
Please do not call. Applicants that submit their resume via email will be considered.
For more information about STDR Facebook: Supports Through Dreaming Rainbow
We look forward to hearing from you!
Expected start date: ASAP
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time, Casual
Salary: $16.50-$18.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 10 hour shift
- 12 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Medication Administration: 1 year (Preferred)
- crisis management: 1 year (Preferred)
- supporting high behavioural and complex needs: 1 year (Required)
- Child and Youth Care: 1 year (Preferred)
- Personal Care: 1 year (Preferred)
- Support Care: 1 year (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)
- Stony Plain, AB (Preferred)
- Class 5 Drivers License (Required)
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place