Position: Client Services and Building Coordinator Closing: Posting will remain open until position is filled
Term: Up to 1- year contract (35 hours/week)
Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services (OAHS) provides safe and affordable housing for First Nation, Métis, and Inuit people living in urban and rural areas of Ontario. Our Vision is “to lead the design, development and delivery of sustainable and culturally appropriate housing that promotes excellence in the Indigenous community and organizational infrastructures”.
Housing Services are provided throughout the province by over 75 Team Members as well as a wide range of Partners including Indigenous Organizations, Community Organizations, Governments (Municipal, Provincial, Federal), and Private Sector. Our Main Office and Service Centre is located in Sault Ste. Marie and we have Satellite Service Centres in Dryden, Peterborough, and Hamilton. Services provided include:
- Property management of over 2300 subsidized and unsubsidized housing units;
- Provision of an assisted homeownership program providing down payment and home purchase assistance;
- Provision of an assisted homeowner repair program;
- Supportive housing services for community members;
- Planning and development of new housing; and
- Program management, program development and title services to local community organizations.
Founded in 1994, OAHS provides housing services to both Indigenous and non-Indigenous people. OAHS is governed by representatives from three Indigenous organizations in Ontario – the Ontario Federation of Indigenous Friendship Centres, Ontario Native Women’s Association, and the Métis Nation of Ontario. Learn more at www.OntarioAboriginalHousing.ca
We are currently seeking a Client Services and Building Coordinator for our office located in Peterborough office.
As the Client Services and Building Coordinator, you will be an integral member of the Property Management and Programs Teams responsible for, but not limited to, all aspects of property inspection, maintenance and security of assets while ensuring superior tenant service and asset optimization. The successful candidate will be a goal oriented, organized, enthusiastic individual who understands and appreciates how safe, affordable housing contributes to quality of life and serves as a stable foundation.
Duties and responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
· Support OAHS’s mission and vision and make significant contributions to the achievement of the corporate strategic plan;
· Contributing to achievement of division and organization key performance indicators;
· Delivering various programs according to specified policies, procedures and program guidelines;
· Responsible for or assisting in all aspects of direct client services including but not limited to collection of rent, building and property maintenance and program compliance;
· Carrying out property inspections and preparing written inspection reports and work specifications and utilizing and maintaining data integrity in the OAHS asset planner software;
· Inspecting work performed by contractors to ensure completeness and quality in accordance with specifications;
· Securing vacated units;
· Responding to and resolving maintenance complaints and issues;
· Attending the unit with the selected tenant to ensure all required information (i.e. building maintenance, smoke and CO detectors, etc.) is understood including following up at specified intervals post occupancy;
· Delivering eviction notices to tenants as required and attending resulting Tribunal Hearings as a representative of OAHS;
· Carrying out administrative duties related to specific properties including maintaining accurate records in the OAHS property management systems, maintaining electronic and manual filing systems and program databases, and producing required reports, letters and spreadsheets; and preparing and/or making bank deposits; and
- Other duties as required.
The successful candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
· Appreciation for Indigenous cultures and a values system that believes in assisting people;
· College Diploma/Certification in Construction/House Inspection, carpentry, plumbing, electrical or other related programs or a combination of education and related experience;
· Post-secondary education in Business or related disciplines would be an asset;
· Demonstrated experience and knowledge in property inspection and maintenance;
· Experience with the Landlord and Tenant Board, social services, and other service sectors would be an asset;
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and within a highly motivated, professional and results-oriented team;
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and other software products (including Property Management systems);
· Ability to communicate professionally using multiple channels with a variety of stakeholders both internal and external to the organization; and
· Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to contribute to achievement of team goals.
Conditions of employment:
· Ability to travel throughout the province of Ontario as required;
· Ability to work varying hours/days;
· Valid CPIC Clearance (Criminal Records check) and/or Vulnerable Sector Check;
· Current, valid Ontario Driver’s Licence;
· Safe driving record (3-year Driver record search); and
· Full use of a safe, reliable vehicle.
· In return for your ongoing excellent performance, strong work ethic, and commitment to our vision, mission, values, strategic plan, and the people we serve, Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services offers a comprehensive compensation package. This comprehensive compensation package includes:
o Challenging and fulfilling work; an inclusive and supportive team; and a work environment steeped in and guided by Indigenous culture;
o Additional paid holidays (in addition to statutory holidays) include Louis Riel Day, National Aboriginal Day, Remembrance Day, and Family Day;
o Opportunity for cultural, educational and other approved leaves;
o Supported training opportunities for personal and professional development while reciprocally enhancing organizational capacity; and
o A competitive salary in pay band B4 with a range of $39,000.00 to $62,400.00.
Working Conditions and Physical Capabilities:
· Work from a vehicle a large portion of the time. Drive to inspection sites, make phone calls, write reports, or conduct other business while sitting in a vehicle;
· Will be required to overnight to ensure cost effective delivery;
· Encounter contaminants at times during inspections;
· Medium to high level of social interaction. Meet with tenants, contractors, and others as part of the inspection process;
· Working outdoors can expose to hot and cold temperatures depending on season;
· Ability to use office equipment, laptop and computer software programs;
· Ability to climb a ladder, stairs, enter attic and/or crawl spaces; and
· Ability to lift up to 30lbs.
Please note that you are encouraged to apply early as interviews will be scheduled as applications are received.
· Email or
Human Resources Assistant
Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services Corporation
Attn: Human Resources
500 Bay Street, Sault Ste. Marie ON P6A 1X5
In meeting the objectives and vision of the organization, preference will be given to qualified individuals of First Nation, Métis, or Inuit* ancestry, and are asked to self-identify on their cover letter*.
This competition is open to internal and external candidates with the possibility of Secondment for internal candidates. The continuation of this position is subject to funding renewal.
Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Ontario Aboriginal Housing Services also welcomes and supports diversity including people who identify as LGBTQ2S+.
We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $39,000.00 to $62,400.00 /year
- Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19