G&C Asphalt is looking for professional and enthusiastic, seasonal ROLLER OPERATORS to work full-time for the 2021 construction season.
Reporting to the Foreman, the Roller Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of Breakdown Rollers, Rubber Tire Rollers and Finish Rollers. The Roller Operator distributes, breaks down, compresses and gives a finished surface to cooling asphalt. The first stage breaks down the asphalt mix with a breakdown roller. The second stage compresses it with a rubber tire roller, and the finish roller gives the final finish. Roller operators may also be required to operate Steel Drum and Pad Foot Rollers to compact and seal earth fills, sub grades, and flexible base.
- Operate the roller and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Safely operate roller in successive overlapping passes over surfaces to be compacted, rolling subgrade and asphalt to desired compaction and smoothness.
- Determine speed and direction of machine, based on knowledge of compressibility of material under changing temperatures, so that ridges do not form by excessive pressure.
- Push hand roller and pound surfaces using hand tamp, or guide portable power roller over areas not accessible to road roller.
- Operate self-propelled steel-wheeled, rubber-tired, vibrator, segmented, or other type of roller to compact earth, subgrade, sub-base and asphalt surfaces
- Operate the Breakdown roller to massage hot mix asphalt into place.
- Using the Rubber Tire Roller, compress hot mix asphalt to desired compaction.
- Operate the Finish Roller in successive overlapping passes to apply final finish, and remove imperfections with a finish roller.
- Operate Pad Foot Roller, using vibrate when necessary, until ground surface is hard.
- Operate Smooth Drum Roller, to seal subgrade and base surfaces.
- Train new employees in the safe and efficient operation of the Roller.
- Promote, execute and adhere to the company’s safety program, and encourage all employees, sub-contractors and consultants to adopt safety as a culture.
- Operate other heavy equipment and other construction related duties as required.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred.
- Class 5 Drivers License.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of experience within the road construction industry.
- 2 to 3 years’ experience operating various Packers is required.
- Knowledge road construction materials, road construction processes and industry requirements.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 LBS on a regular basis.
- Use of Personal Protection Equipment is required.
- Use of sunscreen, long sleeves, and appropriate headgear is recommended.
- Must comply with the company’s drug and alcohol testing requirements.
- Willing to work out of town and in remote locations, as required.
- Willing to work overtime, as required.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
G&C Asphalt is pleased to offer the successful candidate an attractive wage, comprehensive benefits, including a pension plan, educational assistance, excellent opportunities for professional growth, and more.
We thank all candidates for their interest in a position with G&C Asphalt, however only candidates selected to move forward will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Seasonal
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care