Are you an experienced English to French Translator? If so, consider this challenging opportunity where you will provide translation services from English to French and from French to English, for the ministry, its agencies, and boards.
OPS Commitment to Diversity, Inclusion, Accessibility, and Anti-Racism:
We are committed to build a workforce that reflects the communities we serve and to promote a diverse, anti-racist, inclusive, accessible, merit-based, respectful and equitable workplace.
We invite all interested individuals to apply and encourage applications from people with disabilities, Indigenous, Black, and racialized individuals, as well as people from a diversity of ethnic and cultural origins, sexual orientations, gender identities and expressions.
Visit the OPS Anti-Racism Policy and the OPS Diversity and Inclusion Blueprint pages to learn more about the OPS commitment to advance racial equity, accessibility, diversity, and inclusion in the public service.
We offer employment accommodation across the recruitment process and all aspects of employment consistent with the requirements of Ontario's Human Rights Code. Refer to the "How to apply" section if you require a disability-related accommodation.
What can I expect to do in this role?
- Translate written materials, including texts of a complex and technical nature covering a range of subject matters and produced in a variety of formats (e.g. news releases, brochures, reports, advertisements, speeches, web and social media content)
- Proofread materials
- Conduct terminological research
- Assist in the maintenance of the ministry's terminology bank
- Assist in the coordination of the translation workload, when required
How do I qualify?
- You are proficient in both English and French, written and oral at the superior level
Analytical and Evaluative Skills:
- You have demonstrated experience providing technical terminology translation for a wide variety of documentation from English to French and vice versa (e.g. news releases, brochures, reports, advertisements, speeches)
- You have knowledge of translation techniques to translate and edit complex texts, while maintaining the meaning and intent of the original document
- You can review translated documents, editing translations for style, language, usage and flow
- You can translate technical legal and court related terminology to provide advice on correct usage and to translate texts on ministry business
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
- You can understand, translate and proofread written information, to ensure that the meaning, intent and feeling portrayed in the original document is conveyed when translated
- You can research information on terminology by consulting internal experts and perusing external sources (e.g. books, journals, media clippings, reports, and Internet sites)
- You can clarify the meaning of texts with writers and technical staff, in both French and English
- You have superior interpersonal skills to communicate with ministry staff and external suppliers
- You have the ability to interpret and apply knowledge of legislation and regulations related to French language services in Ontario to provide advice to ministry management and staff
- You are proficient with word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) to produce a variety of documentation
1 Bilingual Permanent, 400 University Ave, Toronto, Toronto Region
1 Bilingual Temporary, duration up to 6 months, 400 University Ave, Toronto, Toronto Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad - definitions
Administrative and Support Services
Wednesday, August 3, 2022
This ad is also available in French.