This job position is for Wednesday-Sunday.
SHELTER ASSISTANT (FULL, PART, CASUAL)
- Shelter Assistant Position
- Must be available Monday to Sunday between 8am-4pm
- The Shelter Assistant is responsible and accountable for all the shelter assistant duties
- Check calendar on a daily basis for medical appointments (calendar out front on reception desk)
- Feeds, exercises, and cares for all animals
- Cleans all animals either alone or with another shelter employee
- Dispenses all medications as written in binder morning and night
- Completes or aids in 3 times a day dog walking
- Monitors health of animals (alerts senior staff to any changes in behaviour, irregularities in litter box, food/water intake, vomit, diarrhea, unusual behaviours)
- Makes sure dishes, litter-boxes, scoops, laundry, and all extra cleaning is completed
- Keeps themselves busy throughout working hours, consulting with miscellaneous list of things to do if needed.
- Makes sure shelves are well stocked for the next day
- Monitors and changes as needed cage room labels regarding Name, sex, type of food, etc
- Follows appropriate animal care and handling, maintain the highest standard of sanitation and care of animals entrusted to the shelter.
- Bathes and grooms shelter animals when necessary
- Has a working knowledge of various breeds of animals, how to handle animals properly and recognize common diseases.
Cleaning and Maintenance
- Works collaboratively with all shelter personnel to achieve a clean and sanitary environment inside and outside the shelter
- Maintains Cleanliness, organization, and order in all areas of the shelter.
- Is familiar with SPCA services and is able to advise and make suggestions to customers when appropriate
- Answers the phone, gives public information, and makes referrals to other agencies where appropriate.
- Receives, greets, and assists visitors
- Assists with animal adoptions
- Serve as a role model and trainer for staff on excellent customer service
Daily Cash handling
- Is careful and precise in all transactions, entering information correctly into the cash register, counting change accurately, and following shelter policies.
General Shelter Operations
- Performs duties or tasks assigned by the Board of Directors, Executive Director, and Assistant Manager
- Participates in meetings with other shelter personnel and share ideas and suggestions designed to improve working conditions and the organization
- Have knowledge of and experience handling a variety of animals. Experience in a vet clinic or animal shelter would be an asset
- Have a positive attitude, be self motivated, and have a willingness to learn
Application deadline: 2021-07-27
Expected start date: 2021-07-28
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $11.75 per hour
- Dental care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Vision care
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- On call
- Do you have your license and a vehicle?
- Are you available to work Holidays and Storm Days?
- Do you live in the city of Miramichi?