Title: Medical Secretary*
Reports to: Coordinator, Primary Health Care
Position Type: Full-Time Contract (31.5 hours/week) January 2019 – January 2020 (with possible extension)
Wage: $19.63 - $23.73
Working in close partnership with a multi-disciplinary team, the Medical Secretary ensures the smooth and efficient operation of the health care team by directing clients and participants to appropriate services and by maintaining all systems that support health care services.
*This position description is currently under review to incorporate core competencies. Final position description will be provided to the successful candidate when available.
· Creates a welcoming atmosphere by warmly greeting individuals, responding to their inquiries, and directing them to appropriate services or resources;
· Books, cancels, makes reminder calls and re-schedules client appointments, as required, including prescription renewals, specialist referrals, and diagnostic procedures;
· Ensure a tidy, safe and welcoming waiting area;
· Responds to client queries regarding OHIP requirements, and assisting clients in obtaining OHIP insurance, as required;
· Handling and documenting small cash and cash equivalents (eg: transportation, emergency food vouchers) as required.
· Maintains client records both physical and electronic including: registering new clients; updating information changes for existing clients; maintaining the client information database; and archiving client paper records. Ensures forms are completed and up to date (e.g., client registration form);
· Prepares basic reports as required according to schedule
· Documents billing, as required, including shadow billing;
· Scans, follows-up on, and files documents appropriately;
· Supports the transition of paper client charts to an electronic client filing system;
· Supports the overall functioning of the clinic by pulling client charts, updating charts, and processing inactive charts;
· Responds to phone calls and voice mail for the clinic staff as well as transfers calls to other services when necessary.
· Performs administrative duties for clinic staff as well as medical/health related programs including maintaining an updated list of community resources, medical specialist referral list, and, on occasion, taking meeting minutes;
· Maintain inventory of necessary forms & medical supplies.
Health Team Operations
· Contributes to the overall smooth operation of the clinic by working cooperatively with others and supporting an effective multi-disciplinary team environment;
· Works cooperatively within the medical secretary team on the “Roles and Responsibilities Training Tool” to ensure skill development for full scope of duties and responsibilities;
· Assists to provide the required training and knowledge transfer to coworkers;
· Uses established communication pathways to assist in decision making and problem solving, as directed by the Manager;
· Ensures that information flow, workflow procedures, and team support are delivered consistently and effectively.
- Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
- Supports consistent application and development of KCHC policies and procedures
- Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
- Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
- On occasion, perform other temporary duties as required
Basic Education and Experience Requirements
- Medical Secretary Certificate or Secondary School diploma and equivalent relevant work experience
- Two plus years office experience, in a health or community setting preferred
- Experience working with electronic medical records systems
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to provide welcoming, inclusive, non-judgmental service; sensitive to cultural and social barriers that clientele may be facing
- Knowledge of privacy legislation as it relates to healthcare and private documents
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary setting
- Proficiency in typing, the use of computers and various software applications, database management experience an asset
- Strong interpersonal (oral and written) and problem-solving skills; a commitment to teamwork
- Excellent organizational skills, above average attention to detail, and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
Organizational Competencies: Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning
Position Competencies: Attention to detail, Communications, Conflict Resolution, Initiative, Knowledge/Professional/Technical Expertise, Problem Solving, Teamwork, Time Management
- Available for evening shifts, up to one evening a week
- Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
- French language is an asset.
- Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
- Save all documents as a single PDF file using your own name (Last, First).
- Email to hr(a)kchc.ca citing reference “2018-26-KCHC” in the subject line.
- Applications must be received by Human Resources by Thursday, December 20, 2018.
As a registered professional, to abide by and be accountable to the ethics and standards set out by the relevant regulatory body of the profession.
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.
KCHC is a proud Living Wage employer!
Kingston Community Health Centres, 263 Weller Ave. Kingston ON, K7K 2V4
Job Types: Full-time, Contract