Position Summary...The Design Manager develops and manages Logistics project specifications, guidelines, and design documents for distribution centres, automation systems and support areas by incorporating best practices and standards. The Manager is accountable for assisting in driving the project milestones and liaising with multiple business units to ensure all timelines and commitments are met while working with cross-functional teams to facilitate decision-making and improve the overall product for the end consumer. Develops processes and ensure compliance across the organization and keeps the customer at the forefront of all decision-making and the impacts to customer experience at all stages of the program.
What you'll do...
1. Lead and manage the design process from planning through Project Close for all Logistics projects including renovations, automation and greenfield projects. Working closely with Logistics, Transportation, Real Estate, Construction, Technology, Legal and Compliance teams to plan opportunities and provide preliminary plans, concepts and preliminary project budgets.
2. Develops guiding principles for future programs and support the Logistics growth strategy. Ensures compliance with regulatory and company standards; maintaining certifications and future regulatory requirements.
3. Resolve unique project specific design opportunities through information gathering and meetings with key stakeholders and coordinate design decisions with format development and construction team. Throughout project lifecycle, review all potential change orders, coordinate with key stakeholders, obtain approvals and review impact of change to cost and schedule. Recommend solutions as required.
4. Ensures project quality is consistent with design specifications; observing project construction activity when necessary; responding to system implementation problems; negotiating with logistics operations, cross-functional teams, and systems groups to translate project obligations and requesting necessary design changes during the construction phase in order to meet budget, timeline, and quality. Review and approve exterior elevations, signage, project scope and plans. Coordinate building permit process and coordinate with municipalities.
5. Manage relationship with all external strategic partners and cross-functional teams. Seek input from multi-disciplinary teams (Logistics, Trans, AP, Technology, Ops and Construction, etc.) as required, and ensure all automation details are coordinated with building design, Operations and strategic partners. Manage project timelines with consultants on a weekly or bi-weekly basis and update project specific dates and general information on Walmart’s electronic document management systems. Lead and manage project timelines, design meetings and cross-functional teams.
6. Works with multiple teams to ensure they have the knowledge to move their business / program forward. Working closely with internal stakeholders to develop project statistics and analytics that support future projects and provide data for continuous improvement.
7. Develop tactical plans to roll out all programs ensure ongoing success; work with senior team to highlight potential changes that drive incremental value or a better experience for the customer. Perform research and coordinate results with stakeholders to resolve unique design opportunities.
- Preferably, experience in Civil, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and changing environment
- Must be an analytical and innovative thinker with careful consideration for details
- Proficient with Visio, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, SQL, AutoCAD
- Ability to travel and work on weekends and off-hours (as required)
- A strong passion for mechanization and moving parts
- Entrepreneurial- demonstrate risk taking, innovation, independence, self-confidence and the ability to push self out of comfort zone
- Relationship Builder- develop strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders to improve solutions
- Strong business acumen and a process thinker capable of understanding the big picture
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, honesty, humor and integrity
- Minimum Education Required: Bachelor's Degree
- Minimum Years of Experience Required: 5-7 years
Licensing & Other Qualifications
- OAAAS (Ontario Association for Applied Architectural Sciences) or OACETT (Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists) or higher.
- CET/ Civil or Mechanical Engineer, Systems Design or combination of certification and experience, Professional Project Management (PPM)
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $74,000.00-$138,450.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Disability insurance
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- Wellness program
- Temporarily due to COVID-19