Job Description – Sales Team Member
Sales Team Member
The Sales Team Member’s main priority is to provide the best experience to our RONA customers with service and product needs. Responsibilities include providing expertise, guidance and knowledge to sell products and projects to ensure we meet and exceed our customer’s needs and expectations.
Customer service is the number one priority and responsibility for this position. The following RONA Service Standards are a critical component for this position:
1. Customers always come first – make customers the 1st priority, they come before any other task. Always be ready to service a customer’s needs whether it is in person or over the phone, no matter what you are doing.
2. Ready with a friendly greeting – show immediate interest in customers and employees by making eye contact and offering a friendly (genuine) greeting.
3. “I’ll be with you shortly” – it’s important that our customer understands they are the priority. When you have customers waiting, offer a smile and recognition of their presence.
4. I propose products – ask your customer questions to determine their needs. Be knowledgeable of products and services offered in your department and within the store so you are able to make expert suggestions to your customer.
5. I reply to questions – If a customer has a question that you cannot answer, take steps to provide the answer. Utilize resources within the department, store, leadership team or even in our RONA network.
6. I make customers aware of promotions – Be fully aware of flyer items and their location. Refer to all communications within the store to ensure awareness of all upcoming events and promotions.
7. I find a solution – if a customer is unhappy, take steps to resolve the situation. Be resourceful and draw upon relationships with co-workers, internet or other stores so that our customer is more than satisfied with the outcome.
8. A thank you for every customer – Be sure to provide a genuine thank you and invitation to return to the store. Invite customers to participate in the RONA Opinion survey.
A sales culture is important to RONA’s continued growth and success. All team members are encouraged to build a strong rapport and understand the project(s) the customer is working on:
Store Operations and Standards:
- Build strong professional relationships with retail, professional, and commercial customers.
- Increase sales and margin with add-on sales for promotional and regular stock items located near the cash registers.
- Familiarize yourself with financial targets including sales and margin plans and Key Performance Indicator’s (KPI’s).
- Understand your part in achieving those targets through use of the service standards – greet customers effectively, propose complimentary items, awareness of product location and promotional items and the commitment to find a solution for every customer.
There are many facets to running a store operation. It is important to know how your role and actions support an efficient and effective store.
Training and Development:
- Communicate any out of stocks to the appropriate person
- Be aware of what stock is to arrive and where it will be displayed
- Ensure integrity of on hand products
- Assist as needed with signage, front facing and minor resets
- Put product away as it arrives in the store.
You are expected to take an active role in your development at RONA. The company offers a broad selection of training and development programs for all levels of employment including computer assisted and in-class training options. Take initiative and participate in developing your sales and product knowledge skills and encourage employees to do the same.
Health and Safety:
At RONA, health and safety is a top priority and part of our culture. All employees are expected to review and have a good understanding of RONA’s policies and procedures relating to health and safety. This includes the Employee Handbook, the National Health and Safety Guide, the RONA Code of Ethics and other corporate communications. Everyone at RONA is responsible for working safely.
- Read and review the documentation regularly.
- ALWAYS follow safe work practices, obtain proper training, certification, and use personal protective equipment whenever necessary.
- It is your responsibility to report unsafe work practices or conditions immediately to Store Management.
- Encourage customers to participate in our RONA Opinion survey
- Educate customers on RONA Advantage and it’s benefits
- Be able to articulate all services we offer to our customers (i.e. deliveries, Installs etc…)
- Any housekeeping or maintenance. Bays front faced, no product on carts, bays full, no lifts of product blocking off aisles.