Across our three hospitals and eight satellite sites, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is shaping the future of care. Our many programs and services are designed around the needs of one of Canada’s most vibrant and diverse communities. We are home to North America’s largest nephrology program, as well as the designated cardiac care and spine centre for Scarborough and surrounding communities to the east. We are proud to be a community-affiliated teaching site for the University of Toronto and partner with a number of other universities and colleges, helping to train the next generation of health care professionals. Learn more at shn.ca
As a Health Information Professional, you will report to Manager, Health Information Coding. The main focus of the incumbent will be coding and abstracting of Inpatient and Same Day Surgery patient records, using Winrecs. Additional coding expectations will be as assigned by the Supervisor/Manager.
Company Vacancy/Request for Transfer:
The completion of this online form serves as your application and will be used to determine if you meet the requirements of this position. Please ensure that you have provided all pertinent information necessary to be considered for this vacancy by the close date.
- Graduate of Health Information Management (HIM), Health Records Administrator Program
- Active CHIMA member in good standing and maintained on an annual basis.
- Minimum of two (2) years previous experience in coding/abstracting required, with a focus on Inpatient and Same Day Surgery records.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the structure of the ICD-10-CA/CCI folio.
- Proven knowledge and use of the Canadian Institute of Health Information (CIHI) products, definitions and standards.
- Understanding of the Health care funding, specific to QBP’s
- Thorough understanding of privacy legislation including the Personal Health Information Act, the Mental Health Act and the Public Hospitals’ Act.
- Proficient in Windows-based applications environment and computer applications, e.g Meditech, WINRECS. Experience with other databases considered an asset
- Demonstrated competence in prioritizing and organizing in a fast paced environment
- Ability to display independent judgment, maintain respectful interpersonal relations and promote confidentiality
- Demonstrated excellent organizational and communication skills and effective team work skills.
- Demonstrates values consistent with SHN’s Code of Conduct and is committed to fostering a healthy and positive work environment in accordance with Health & Safety policy and legislation.
- Utilize protective equipment provided and identify and reports hazards
- Engages in ethical conduct and strives to understand and appreciate the diversity of our patient/staff population and community
- Excellent work performance and attendance record
- Ability to speak another language
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) embraces and celebrates our community’s unique multicultural heritage and diversity. SHN is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to a culture of inclusiveness and diversity reflecting our diverse patients, staff and community alike. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs.