Location: Halifax, NS
Type of Employment: Full-time, Permanent
Union Status: Excluded/Non-union
Competition # COR 23108
Closing Date: September 12, 2023
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency (NSPHA) is the provincial government agency responsible for the administration and delivery of affordable housing solutions for low-income Nova Scotians. We contribute to the prosperity of Nova Scotia by helping individuals and families find a home that’s right for them, at a price they can afford, in a healthy and vibrant community that offers the services, support and opportunities they need. We accomplish this by working closely with other levels of government as well as private and community partners. Across its districts, NSPHA provides more than 11,200 safe, affordable homes as part of its Housing Services to seniors and families. District offices manage the day-to-day operations of Nova Scotia’s housing stock. Their responsibilities include administering tenant applications and placements, collecting rent, resolving tenant issues, and maintaining and repairing properties.
About Our Opportunity
The Communications Advisor develops, manages, implements, and evaluates communications plans and tactics that build internal and external awareness of NSPHA’s priorities, programs, services, and initiatives, as well as activities aimed at increasing public confidence in NSPHA. The Communications Advisor develops content for, and manages a range of communication channels, including social media, nspha.ca, industry blog and newsletter, presentations, information notes and briefing documents. Graphic design skills are important. The Communications Advisor also provides advice and coaching to staff on issues and topics and works collaboratively with Government of Nova Scotia staff specifically colleagues at Communications Nova Scotia.
- Promotes public understanding of initiatives, programs and services by managing, producing, implementing and evaluating communication strategies, preparing written materials for public announcements and events, briefing notes and other public documents.
- Working with the Director of Communications, identifies and anticipates emerging issues, and in advance of events, including news conferences and briefings for media, provides communication advice to the CEO and senior management by researching, preparing and editing a variety of communications materials, including news releases, backgrounds, fact sheets, speeches, and communication plans.
- Handles incoming media inquiries as one of the prime media contacts for the organization.
- Participates in working groups, committees and meetings to coordinate strategic communications and/or issues management where information must be delivered to a variety of audiences (internal and external).
- Stays informed on emerging social media tools and digital technologies to support efficient and professional media services to the organization.
- Proactively identifies, monitors, and builds understanding of trends and/or topics which may become issues, and undertakes action to mitigate issues in advance/proactive issue mitigation and management.
- Builds partnerships with external and internal stakeholders to advance strategic communication initiatives participating in working groups, committees and meetings to coordinate strategic communications and/or issues management where information must be delivered to a variety of audiences (internal and external).
- Provides back-up support in the Director of Communication’s absence.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in public relations or other related field, plus at least 4 years related experience.
- Experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders including senior management.
- Familiar with emerging social media tools and digital technologies.
- A willingness to work after hours (evenings/weekends) as needed to keep updated on issues and new information to provide timely advice to the CEO, senior management, and staff.
- Experience in the public sector and/or a unionized environment
- Project management experience
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office 365 software
If you are a team player, who is passionate about improving the lives of Nova Scotians, you are the candidate we are looking for to join our team. We will assess qualifications using one of more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks. Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or more of the following: criminal background checks, driver’s abstract, and confirmation of education credentials.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Based on the employment status, eligibility and union agreement, the NSPHA offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs and flexible working schedules.
Classification: MC 20
Salary Range: $74,441.14- $96,773.75 annually
Work Week: 35 hours
Note: This is not a Civil Service position.
We are committed to employing staff who are representative of the diverse community we serve. If you are a member of one or more of the following designated groups, you are encouraged to self- identify on your cover letter or resume: Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self- identify on your application.
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one document when applying. In the cover letter or resume, please quote the competition number and name.
Our preferred method of applying is through Career Beacon.
Submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $74,441.14-$96,773.75 per year
- Company pension
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
Work Location: In person