This posting will close on November 30, 2018.
Mission and Values Statement
The Salvation Army is an international Christian church and charitable movement, active in over 129 countries worldwide. Its message is based on the Bible; its ministry is motivated by love for God and the needs of humanity. The Mission of The Salvation Army is to share the love of Jesus Christ, meet human needs, and be a transforming influence in the communities of our world. This is expressed in spiritual ministry, and also by a wide variety of social services, which are extended without discrimination as to race or creed.
There are three Core Values of our Faith: Salvation, Holiness, and Intimacy with God.
Rooted in these three values are the seven core operational values that guide all aspects of the Salvation Army in the Canada & Bermuda Territory.
Compassion: We reach out to others and care for them.
Respect: We promote the dignity of all persons.
Excellence: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Integrity: We are honest, trustworthy and accountable.
Relevance: We are committed to the pursuit of innovation and effectiveness.
Co-operation: We encourage and foster teamwork and partnerships.
Celebration: We give thanks by marking milestones and successes.
The powerful mission and core values of The Salvation Army serve as significant attractors for those people who choose to join the organization, which has been serving the under-served and evolving for 150 years.
POSITION PURPOSE SUMMARY:
Based in Winnipeg and working together with the Prairie Public Relations (PR) team. The Divisional Communications Coordinator will be responsible for creating awareness of the work of The Salvation Army. The incumbent oversees the communication goals of the Prairie Division through the development and implementation of public relations and communications strategies in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and North Western Ontario that increase the organizational profile for The Salvation Army across the region.
This position reports directly to the Divisional Secretary for Public Relations and liaises directly with Prairie PR staff, Territorial Headquarters PR Communications team, Ministry Units and Community personnel as it relates to telling The Salvation Army’s story.
Media Relations and Communications
- Develop and maintain relationships with local media in Winnipeg, Regina and Saskatoon.
- Seek out and create earned media opportunities with local media to showcase the many services and ministries of The Salvation Army and to tell our story and the stories of the people we serve across Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Northwestern Ontario.
- Provide training and assistance to local ministry units to support their media interaction.
- Ensure consistency in developing key messages when speaking with media.
- Develop press releases for the approval of the Divisional Commander and/or Divisional Secretary for Public Relations on significant matters suitable for divisional distribution.
- Implement procedures to ensure all press releases within the division are approved by the Divisional Commander and/or Divisional Secretary for Public Relations in advance of distribution.
- Distribute national press releases issued by the Territorial Public Relations Department, using local media contacts in the 3 urban centres to obtain maximum reach and frequency.
- Develop, produce and distribute local Public Service Announcements and distribute Territorial Public Service Announcements.
- Arrange and coordinate interviews with media and Divisional Secretary for Public Relations.
- On occasion, may be required to function as spokesperson and public information representative, dealing with emergency issues and crisis communications in conjunction with relevant divisional and territorial staff in a manner that will preserve and maintain the reputation of the organization.
- Initiate and oversee the development of an annual communication plan.
- Develop and implement standards for internal and external divisional communications.
Social Media and Digital Presence
- Develop and implement a social media strategy in support of fundraising and awareness.
- Monitor social media metrics, reporting on The Salvation Army’s social media presence in Prairie Division, including the ability to show conversions and donations.
- Support ministry units with their social media presence.
- Create regular new content for Social Media, including immediate posts at events, share national and international Salvation Army Social Media posts as appropriate.
- Monitor social media for comments and references to The Salvation Army, providing responses when appropriate and in alignment with our messaging and advising Divisional Secretary for Public Relations of any trending topics that may be of concern or interest to The Salvation Army.
- Maintain Divisional Websites, ensuring there is regular fresh content.
- Working within and alongside the national advertising strategy, purchase advertising that will build awareness of The Salvation Army locally in support of fundraising and brand identity.
- Create an annual strategic advertising plan and associated budget for approval by the Divisional Secretary for Public Relations that covers the 3 urban hubs of Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Regina that takes advantage of purchasing power and adheres to all The Salvation Army policy and protocols. This should include traditional media outlets as well as digital media.
- Oversee and coordinate the design, development and distribution of promotional materials and tools such as brochures and presentations that are high quality for promotional purposes. This may include doing some design work or working with an outside graphic designer / printer.
- Represent The Salvation Army in the community, communicating its programs and services while actively raising its profile in conjunction with the Ministry Units.
- Through communication and interaction with ministry units, seek out stories of public interest and of transformation within our programs.
- Tell The Salvation Army’s story through writing, photos and video that are appropriate for various media, including printed publications, websites, social media and video to create public awareness and a desire to support the work of The Salvation Army.
Events and Development
- Support the planning, implementation, and participate in divisional Public Relations projects and events.
- Participate in Development initiatives as requested.
- Work in conjunction with the Development personnel to promote and facilitate special fundraising events.
- Travel within Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Northwestern Ontario as required.
- Represent organization in a professional manner.
- Participate in personal ongoing professional development and training.
- Participate in Committee/Boards/Councils or Programs, as requested by the Divisional Secretary for Public Relations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Flexibility in schedule and hours will be expected according to requirements of the various responsibilities. Usual weekly hours would be 35 per week. During times of active Emergency Disaster Response or Special Events, extended hours will be required.
The incumbent will have a passion to tell stories through the various types of media. They must have knowledge of Public Relations principles and practices, excellent written and oral communications skills, proven social media skills in a business environment and a high standard of integrity, judgment and confidentiality.
The successful applicant will have the ability to travel regularly within the Prairie Division (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Northwestern Ontario), either driving or flying as circumstances require. Must have and maintain a valid Manitoba Driver’s license and provide a drivers abstract prior to hire.
Minimum Education Level Attained and Work Experience
The successful job applicant will have completed a bachelor’s degree in a Communications or Public Relations related field of study as well as education or training related to using social media for business purposes. Three to five years of work experience in the Public Relations or Communications field, computer and telephone skills and client/customer relations experience.
Note: An alternative level of education and experience may be acceptable.
Physical Effort/ Dexterity Required
The performance of the job requires a frequent amount of lifting of materials and products and keyboarding.
The performance of the job requires an individual who is self-motivated and who gives great attention to detail. Excellent oral, written, facilitation and interpersonal communication skills, a team player that demonstrates coordination abilities, and a willingness to learn are critical skills that the incumbent must possess.
The Salvation Army will accommodate candidates as required under applicable human rights legislation. If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of your requirements.
We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Internal Applicants, please advise your managing supervisor of your intentions prior to submitting your application.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $25.00 to $37.50 /hour