We’re hiring! Mastermind Toys - Canada’s Authority on Play - has big plans and we want YOU to join our growing team! We have a customer-obsessed culture, which we believe starts with employee experience. We jump at the chance to co-create with our customers and employees, while staying true to our Canadian roots. Over 39 years later, Mastermind Toys is the nation’s largest specialty toy and children’s bookstore, and we deeply believe that “Play is Kids’ Work”.
We are currently seeking a Permanent Part-time Store Lead to join our Ajax (ON) location. Our Store leads bring fun, learning and confidence to parents & children by providing an exceptional customer experience and sound leadership while contributing to the profitability, success and growth of the store.
This is a great growth opportunity for someone looking to expand their leadership skills in a part time role. We are seeking individuals with flexible availability including days, evenings, weekends and holidays. Interested candidates are asked to include in their applications their availability.
Job and Responsibilities will include:
- Advocate efforts that support consumers to make a purchase decision best for them and to develop an ongoing positive relationship elevating Mastermind as Canada’s Authority on Play.
- Actively and directly involved in leading the business through distribution and follow up on daily goal setting.
· The corporate program (both ordering and partnership); working with community partners to establish Mastermind store as a responsible community partner while delivering contribution to the business.
- As a store lead, demonstrate understanding of retail business practice and support store manager
- Understanding of; and ability to create and communicate shift schedules (as required) supporting Mastermind customer service and allowing completion of store operational tasks and project activities.
- Demonstrate full understanding of payroll. Partnering in keeping store scheduled and actual hours consistent. Communicating any needs/oversights to store manager immediately.
- Participate in any onboarding, training and ongoing instruction of play experts ensuring that all staff are confident, competent, satisfied, and able to deliver the Mastermind customer experience.
- Provide input on individual and team performance. Documents any performance related conversations and supports Store Manager through any required performance improvement processes.
- Communicate to staff (appropriate company information, key objectives, accomplishments, and upcoming projects) at shift starts; on the sales floor; and follows up on any daily objectives as required.
- Meet requirements in all practices and processes consistent with HR policies meeting legislative requirements including those related to employment standards, human rights, health, and safety.
- Liaison between staff and store manager. Assists store manager in motivating and inspiring staff.
- Demonstrate understanding of retail business practice and support store manager in:
- Participate in the communication of expectations to the team related to best practice for store operation activities with follow up that ensures shopping experiences that are better than expected. Responsible to make decisions that, as feasible, will satisfy customer expectations; make decisions escalated from play experts
- Support processes respecting the recording, accuracy and timeliness of inventory movement in and out of the store. Involved with annual and ad hoc inventory counts.
- Complete administrative processes including store opening/closing; cash handling and related documentation.
- Follow up on completion of daily tasks for example, merchandising standards, event set ups, signage, pricing etc. to ensure product presentation is neat, clean, well faced, full, organized and accessible
- Ensure completion of regular maintenance of the physical building to meet store standards including for example, lighting, cleaning, shelving, business and security systems in full operation
- Follow security systems and protocols. Participate and advocate the safeguarding of staff, customers & product through the management of pro-active assistance; zone management; compliance with loss prevention and health and safety; store maintenance & emergency procedures.
- May be required to act as management representative on the health & safety committee and First Aid programs.
- Responsible to ensure full compliance to Mastermind policies and process across all in-store activities
- Follow security systems and protocols. Participate and advocate the safeguarding of staff, customers & product through the management of pro-active assistance; zone management; compliance with loss prevention and health and safety; store maintenance & emergency procedures
- One to two years of previous retail supervisor level experience required. Other supervisory experience considered.
- Retail business knowledge; sales, service
- Demonstrated ability to provide exceptional quality customer focused sales assistance, interest in Mastermind product.
- Strong & clear verbal and written communication skills
- High school diploma required.
- Proficiency using business, POS, and inventory software.
Mastermind Toys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process. Upon request, Mastermind Toys will, in consultation with the applicant determine the nature of any accommodation that may be required.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest in Mastermind; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Permanent, Part-time
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Monday to Friday
- Morning shift
- Weekends as needed
- Can you reliably commute to 170 Kingston Rd. E, Ajax ON?
Work Location: In person