The Cambridge Self-Help Food Bank (CSHFB) offers food and support to people and community groups in need within Cambridge and North Dumfries. We encourage self-reliance through programs and services.
Through our food security programs, we support over 1600 families a month in our community. We also distribute foods to more than 25 organizations and programs in the community, and deliver a range of broader social supports.
We care deeply about our community and all members in our community, and all members of our team are committed to serving our neighbours as best we can.
Sound like your kind of place? Read on.
Working within a fast-paced team, you will embrace being the day-to-day mover, fixer, problem-solver, administrator and fun-maker in the Distribution Centre. For you, no job is too big, too small, too messy, or too hot or cold. You like serious multi-tasking and have lots of energy to burn because you’re keeping the Distribution Centre machine moving. This means you are receiving and distributing food for people who really need it – and that’s what matters most to you.
You are physically active. You like working with people. All kinds of people. While typical warehouse work is on the agenda, including lifting boxes (we have a lot of boxes to lift!), this role is anything but typical. You will be working with and meeting donors, volunteers, participants, and community members, and at all times will need to be kind, helpful, patient and polite. This will include working with a staff team and supporting volunteers who face various barriers and challenges. You don’t see the barrier, and instead you see the gifts people bring. You don’t see just staff, you see a team that shares your passion for serving others. That means you’re non-judgmental and inclusive with everyone you encounter.
In addition to these great qualities, you also love to make things clean, tidy, and organized. When others see a bunch of boxes, you see the next level of Tetris to master. And where is that donation of pickles? Easy – you know how important it is to keep records and complete paperwork, so everything is logged and in its right place. It’s just what you do!
Does the profile above sound like you, or mostly like you? Then we want you to get in touch with us.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- A commitment to the values and mission of the Cambridge Self-Help Food Bank, with a desire to treat everyone with kindness, respect, and compassion
- Ability to lift repetitively, up to 50 pounds
- Excellent organizational skills, with proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality at all times
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Willingness to obtain Food Banks Canada Safe Food Handling training
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office tools (Outlook, Word)
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, set and meet deadlines, manage resources, work independently and also remain focused in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity as well as sensitivity to issues related to living in poverty
- A valid Ontario driver’s license and willingness to submit a driver’s abstract.
Hours: 37.5 hours per week. The CSHFB’s regular office hours are Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday 9-4:30pm and Thursday 9-6:30pm. It is understood that all team members are often required to work irregular hours to ensure that the objectives of the organization are being met. This includes working evenings and weekends especially during peak times of the year. You will typically work full-time, daytime hours, however, occasional evening and weekend work may be necessary.
Wage: $18.00 hourly to start on a progressive wage grid; optional enrollment into group benefits package and up to 3% RRSP matching following successful completion of probationary period.
To apply for this position, please send your application (resume and cover letter) in one file to Siobhan Bonisteel (sbonisteel @ cambridgefoodbank.on.ca) by February, 1, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position however we will only be contacting those selected for interviews.
Candidates reflecting the diversity of our community are encouraged to apply. Please let us know about any accommodations required in the application or interview process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $18.00 /hour
- Cambridge, ON (Required)
- driver's (Required)