The Lamb Company is a farmer owned cooperative that has been in business for over 50 years. We are a leading North American supplier of premium imported beef and lamb brands and specialty meats to the top retail and food service customers. We pride ourselves on the highest safety and quality standards and offer products that are traceable from Pasture to Plate.TM
As Plant Manager you are charged with ensuring a smooth operation which puts our people and safety first to manufacture products which deliver on the commitments we have made to our customers. You will have direct responsibility for Toronto Plant Personnel, including hiring, training, and mentorship. This role reports to and works closely with the Director of Operations. In partnership with the Director of Food Safety & Quality Assurance you will support a continuous improvement approach to food safety and quality assurance. Your core stakeholders are the Procurement & Sales teams to ensure adequate inventory of raw materials and finished products to service our customers. You will work with Marketing on the consideration and launch of all new products affecting plant processing.
- Processing & Production | Plans, organizes, and executes all processing operations and production activities at the Toronto Processing facility. Ensures that the plant carries enough inventory to meet customer needs at all times and that production schedules and staffing ensure full product availability in all product lines at all times for regions served by the plant.
- Operations | Develops and implements an annual operations plan and expense budget for the processing plant including production throughput objectives that support the corporate business plan. Manages and monitors yield and production costs; and reviews and monitors daily production data to ensure prompt attention to and correction of variances. Develops and implements process improvements and recommends new equipment acquisitions and facility upgrades. Together with the Director of Operations, prepares an annual Capital Expenditure Plan and Budget for the Toronto processing facility in accordance with Company’s policies and procedures.
- Warehousing | Responsible for indirect management of all inventory, warehousing and distribution operations for the Lamb Company’s Toronto plant. Will work closely with the Warehouse Manager to ensure product arrivals, usage, inventory and outbound shipments put our customers first. Oversees and coordinates the internal use and management of our supplies, products and materials into and out of the production rooms.
- Purchasing, Inventory, & Delivery | Works closely with the Procurement team to ensure the required supply of product is delivered to the plant in a timely manner as required to support the business and meet customer orders. Support the delivery of materials and other products to the plant for processing. Monitors raw material and finished product stocks on hand ensuring proper inventory levels within corporate guidelines and ensuring proper product rotation. Ensures orders are scheduled and processed in a timely manner to optimize delivery to customers in accordance with sales requirements (promotions, seasonal spikes in volume, managing par stock inventory levels)
- People Management | Direct workers engaged in the processing, packaging, freezing, and storing of Company’s products. Directs processing operations to make safe, efficient use of resources with manpower, materials, and equipment. Provides direction, development, plus leadership to all processing plant employees either directly or indirectly through leaders. Administers the Company’s Human Resources Policies and Procedures with respect to hiring, management, scheduling, discipline, safety training, HACCP training and performance decisions for staff.
- Maintenance & Repairs | Directs and coordinates activities with respect to installing, dismantling of machines and equipment on a daily basis. Works closely with the Maintenance department to ensure optimal run time on the equipment. Will work closely with the maintenance team to improve equipment changeovers and other processes to improve equipment reliability.
- Financial Performance | Responsible for financial performance of the Toronto Plant. Reviews costs and product quality, modifying production plus inventory control programmes to maintain and enhance profitable operations. Controls labor, and other direct/indirect spend and supply expenses. Ensures compliance with product quality and food safety standards. Brings expertise with budgets, all aspects of financials; quality, production and operational departments.
- Health & Safety | Ensures the organization is in compliance with our Health & Safety policy and overall objectives of the organization. Will champion a safety first model within all areas of the business operations. Models behaviors that support the Health & Safety Commitment; holds direct reports accountable for ensuring that they too model appropriate behaviors. Ensures that the organization consistently complies with all Health & Safety policies and legislative requirements. Ensures the Director of Operations and Health & Safety team are briefed on any Health & Safety incidents and investigations. Ensures that the plant has an effective disaster recovery programme and that it is in compliance with all legislative and regulatory requirements for Canada governing processing, warehousing, and distribution operations.
- Food Safety and Quality Assurance | Ensures that the processing facility workforce and activities support SQF, HACCP, GMPs, Halal, customer and supplier certification programs; inclusive of all food safety guidelines and regulations. Works in partnership with the Director of FSQA to ensure all food safety programs are adhered to. Models behaviors that demonstrate the right balance between productivity, safety and quality.
- Stakeholder Management | Maintains regular contact with the Procurement team, Regional Sales Managers, Marketing and other regulatory personnel. Oversees the support of routine, preventative and emergency maintenance. Monitors quality testing results and takes action as needed to ensure all quality specifications are met. Keeps corporate management completely informed on key operational and production conditions and trends. Ensures prompt and decisive handling of service and product complaints as they arise. Collaborative and engaging style driven to challenge the status quo.
- Continuous Improvement | Embodies a culture of continuous improvement; will challenge everyone to look for ways to be better. Will identify ways to improve operations by using data and facts to drive business decisions. Maintains open relations with other Plant Managers within the network to share best practices and pockets of excellence so that we are able to improve the entire organization. Uses Lean and Six Sigma methodologies in their day to day work, specifically visual management, 5S, statistical process controls, process mapping etc. Performs other related duties as assigned.
The Success Measures
- The Toronto facility achieves its revenue, cost, and volume targets for the fiscal year
- Processed and value-added product availability is per Company plan
- There are zero non-compliance Health & Safety issues in the Toronto processing plant
- Production orders are available on time in adherence to delivery schedules and without errors in product type, quality, or quantity
- Inventory control is such that product expiry and shortages are kept to the absolute minimum
- Staffing is at appropriate levels, appropriately trained, and talent retention is a core focus on or below Company targets
- Surveyed and measured customer feedback scores meet or exceed target around quality, service, integrity, and food safety
- Proven decision making ability using various analytical tools (variance reporting, downtime analysis, capital project ROI, SWOT analysis, Six Sigma metrics, etc.)
What you bring
- 10+ years’ experience as a Plant Manager or equivalent in a food processing or manufacturing environment with a North American or Global Meat Industry Manufacturer and/ or Distributor, CPG organization
- Must have prior experience within a GMP environment (food, pharmaceutical, etc)
- Preferred Meat industry experience, with preferably some butchery experience
- Fluency in English; excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong aptitude for root cause analysis and troubleshooting of operational issues
- Strong fact based decision making and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated effectiveness in product, processing, and packaging and in serving customer needs while meeting the highest possible standards
- Champions H&S, Food Safety and Continuous Improvement; defines and upholds the standards plus organization values (ability to models these behaviors for all staff)
- Knowledge of and demonstrated compliance to HACCP, quality control systems & procedures, and legislated and regulatory health, safety, and food standards
- Able to effectively manage multiple priorities, demands that come with responsibility as Plant Manager - Toronto for The Lamb Company customers
- Must have proficiency with MS Office Suite, UKG, Google Suite
- Must have some form of Continuous Improvement Certification (Lean, Six Sigma Green or Black Belt, PMP etc)
- Nice to have, change management certification (ADKAR)
To learn more about our Company, go to www.thelambcompany.com
Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NOTE: As an essential services employer, we recommend all workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
The Lamb Company is committed to providing an accessible and barrier-free environment. Accommodations are available on request for candidates throughout the selection process. Please contact Human Resources if accommodation is required.