Carefirst Seniors & Community Services Association is a non-profit community services agency. Since 1976, we have provided community support, home and personal health care services in a holistic manner to seniors, individuals with disabilities, and those with medical needs in the Greater Toronto, York, and Mississauga regions.
With a staff of 500 members (including full-time and part-time staff) and the help of a pool of 850 active volunteers, we serve over 15,000 clients a year, including seniors and the physically disabled; 3,000 of whom are "home-bound" and frail.
We are currently seeking casual Personal Support Workers to join our Home Care team.
- Provide personal care that may include but is not limited to: bathing, grooming, skin care, dressing, toileting, lifts/transfers, mobility assistance, assisting at meal time, and other duties in accordance with the individualized client care plan
- Provide emotional support and encouragement to clients and their families in coping with daily demands and at stressful times
- Complete household tasks such as laundry, making the bed, vacuuming, cleaning, dusting and other duties as directed by the supervisor
- Prepare nutritious meals that accommodate specific dietary needs for the client
- Graduated from a recognized Personal Support Worker Program or equivalent (e.g. RPN) or is an internationally-trained nurse
- Valid certification in First Aid & CPR, and Food Handling
- Experience in housekeeping duties and preparing light meals
- Sufficient physical ability to assist with client transfers and activities of daily living (i.e., including but not limited to ability to lift approximately 50 lbs, bend, stretch, stand for extended periods of time, climb stairs, reach, twist, sit, walk, and/or run)
- Ability to speak a second language that reflects the community served, eg. Cantonese, Mandarin, is an asset
- Possesses a caring attitude, good interpersonal skills, sensitivity to recognize needs of elderly clients and/or clients with physical and/or mental challenges
- Demonstrated good judgement, with the ability to work independently and cooperatively with the Home Care team
- Flexible working hours with availability to work shift hours, evenings, weekends, and statutory holidays
- Must be able to travel from home-to-home on a daily basis to service clients in the Scarborough, York region, or Downtown Toronto areas
- Ability to speak a language that reflects the community served, eg. Cantonese, Mandarin, is an asset
- A valid vulnerable sector police record check and medical check completed within one year
- Valid driver's license and access to a reliable vehicle is an asset
Carefirst is an equal opportunity employer. We are also committed to an environment that is barrier free. If you require accommodation during the hiring process, please inform us in advance to arrange a reasonable and appropriate accommodation.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Types: Part-time, Casual
Salary: $18.20-$19.20 per hour
- Cantonese (preferred)
- Mandarin (preferred)
- Personal Support Worker Certification (preferred)
- Ontario Driver License (Level G) (preferred)