Looking for a Cook/Assistant Teacher to join our Parry Sound Child Care Team.
Parry Sound Child Care Centre & McDougall After School Program
HOURS OF WORK:
Monday to Friday; approximately 35 hours/week, with shifts starting as early as 7:00am & and ending as late as 6:00pm
SALARY & BENEFITS:
- Pay rate $18.10/hour
- Complimentary access to virtual and/or in-person opportunities promoting health and fitness
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Safe Food Handler Certificate
- Current Standard First Aid and CPR (Level C) certification OR completion of certification within first 90 days of employment
- Successful completion of Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector within the last 6 months
- Up-to-date immunizations, including Covid-19
- Works to maintain active and effective communication and information networks within the centre and community agencies working with individual children and families regarding nutritional needs and diet
- Understands & complies with provincial, municipal, and YMCA Child Care Guidance Policies
- Responsible to prepare a five week rotating menu for child care centre that meets YMCA Menu Planning Protocol.
- Prepare one hot lunch and two snacks per day following the five week menu
- Supply special dietary meals if necessary, taking children's allergies and special parental direction into consideration. Information from both sites to be posted in kitchen.
- Responsible for food and kitchen inventory as well as the ordering of all food supplies.
- Post all menu changes on the monthly menu plan and in the daily journal
- Record all hot and cold holding food holding temperature as necessary including at catered sites, (record must be maintained for two years)
- Record all fridge temperatures twice daily and freezer temperatures once daily, (record must be maintained for two years)
- Handle food and dishes in accordance to the Ministry of Health Regulations
- Cleaning and sanitizing of kitchen equipment daily
- Clean and sanitize cupboards, fridge and food storage areas on a weekly basis or more often if necessary
- Maintain all health and safety requirements, including but not limited to WHIMIS
- Ensure that meals are prepared in proper quantity in relation to the number of children
- Notification of centre supervisor if unable to work or arrange for supply staff if required
- Assists in supervision of lunch, and sets up and cleans room to meet needs of activities and programs
- Required to move program equipment both large and small and undertake cleaning duties
- Occasional use of computers for administrative support purposes. (Typing menus, allergy lists)
- Plans and implements a consistent child-centred program in accordance with YMCA curricula Playing to Learn and A Place to Connect.
- Maintains qualifications and certifications as required by the YMCA and provincial standards.
- Completes required documentation of children’s development and interactions.
- Cleans and sanitizes child care spaces, focusing on frequently touched surfaces, equipment, toys, and any other areas or items deemed necessary, following YMCA health and safety protocols and procedures.
- Identifies the indicators of abuse, and understands the legal responsibilities and moral imperative to report suspected child abuse to Child Protection Services.
- Seeks opportunities to deepen connections and increase engagement of parents and children in care, providing further opportunities to get involved in other YMCA Programs.
- Demonstrates appropriate behaviours in line with our Mission, Vision and Values as reflected in our YMCA competencies; takes a member focused approach to increase their understanding of programs offered across the Association. Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
- Operation of Food Services equipment i.e. oven, stove, cooking appliances
- Must have knowledge of children's nutritional requirements according to Canada's Food Guide, MEDU and the Ministry of Health legislation
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills
- Passion for working with children and providing quality play-based learning within a licensed childcare setting
- Well-developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport with parents, children, staff and volunteers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to working in a socially inclusive environment responding with sensitivity and personal awareness to the diverse needs of members including visible and non-visible dimensions of diversity
- Ability to use frequent light to medium physical effort: lifting up to 20 kg (44 lbs.), bending and stooping
- Must be able to work outdoors for at least 2 hours daily year-round; may be exposed to heat, humidity or cold
We wish to express our appreciation to all applicants for their interest in this position; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please be advised that all offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a Police Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
The YMCA of Simcoe/Muskoka is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. Our goal is a diverse, inclusive workforce that reflects the communities we serve. Individuals needing employment accommodation in the hiring process or job postings in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources department.
If you are hired, prior to your start date and as a condition of your employment, you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have a valid medical or other Human Rights Code-related exemption.