Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
With a strong history of innovation for over 100+ years, we are Canada’s largest diversified natural resource company looking to reinvent ourselves. Being part of the RACE21™ team, you’ll be leading the charge of a company-wide renewal of technology and infrastructure – a high-tech transformation of mining into the next generation.
With the financial backing and commitment from our leadership, we envision a fully integrated agile digital platform that will:
- Renew, Automate, and Connect material, processes, equipment flows, and data systems to expand and enable a broad application of advanced analytics, robotics, and artificial intelligence
- Empower our employees to unleash their creativity and innovation at work – increasing sustainability, safety, and performance in real time, unlocking resource base knowledge and improving planning for optimal resource extraction.
We are world-class leaders in sustainability and safety – and we are building a better world for the next generation with lasting competitive advantages, from 2021 and beyond.
Reporting to the Manager of Product, the Technical Product Owner - RACE21™ will be working specifically on Galileo, which is Teck’s platform that is at the center of our RACE21 program. The platform we envision simplifies and standardizes Teck’s approach to our Digital Transformation program with an emphasis on the use of Advanced Analytics and Machine Learning.
Galileo comprises four main capabilities: data ingestion, data engineering, data science and application development, and will provide a consistent, secure, scalable, and standardized approach within each of these areas.
The Technical Product Owner, RACE21™ will be responsible for these core activities:
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Set ambitious and clear product vision in collaboration with key stakeholders and the delivery team and communicate it effectively to ensure alignment across the program
- Engage with internal and external stakeholders to consult and inform product direction and ensure development is aligned with product vision
- Effectively steward delivery by adopting and continuously improving Agile practices and iterating on the team process to match the evolving organizational context and technology landscape
- Engage with a diverse group of end users such as data scientists, data engineers, application developers and operations team members facilitating requirements gathering and prioritization
- Work closely with platform power users to identify their needs in the area of streamlined access to data and self-service analytics and translate them into platform requirements
- Ensure customer-driven platform design working closely with UX designers to map out user journeys and jobs-to-be-done, considering user pain points & usability test results and establishing an effective feedback mechanism to ensure end-user satisfaction
- Anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade offs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints
- Work with Technical Leads and Architects to ensure solutions are scalable, modular and operationally mature
- Collaborate closely with a product management community of practice to share knowledge and elevate product practices across teams
- 6+ years of experience in a technical or a Product Owner role
- Ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, then deliver them in a timely manner.
- Experience leading large software projects with a variety of stakeholders in all areas of the technical spectrum.
- Experience in balancing requirements across multiple Agile development teams.
- Proven ability to effectively communicate with highly technical end-users
- Deep understanding of big data, machine learning, business intelligence, data analytics and advanced visualizations is highly desirable
- Ability to maintain awareness and knowledge of relevant technology stack and participate in technical design discussions and solutioning
- Passion for creating amazing developer and data scientist experiences
- Critical thinker with a passion to challenge status quo, find new solutions, and drive out-of-the-box ideas
- Previous experience with enterprise data platforms and APIs would be an asset
- Mining industry experience would be an asset
- A valid driver's licence might be required
- Ability to travel 5% of the time
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
Qualified applicants interested in joining a dynamic team are encouraged to submit a resume and cover letter electronically.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Your application to this posting is deemed to be your consent to the collection, use and necessary disclosure of personal information for the purposes of recruitment. Teck respects the privacy of all applicants and the confidentiality of personal information.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal, zinc and energy. Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK.
The pursuit of sustainability guides Teck’s approach to business. Teck is building partnerships and capacity to confront sustainability challenges within the regions in which it operates and at the global level. In 2019, Teck was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for the tenth straight year, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 per cent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies in the S&P Global Broad Market Index.
Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources
Job Segment: Engineer, Social Media, Sustainability, Product Manager, Engineering, Marketing, Mining, Energy, Operations
Job Type: Full-time