Dermalogica continues to dominate the professional skin care industry with distribution in over 90 countries. Known worldwide as the premiere Skin Therapist’s choice for offering the most respected professional skin care line, we are also recognized for our renowned postgraduate education.
Our entrepreneurial spirit, hands-on environment and fast-paced culture encourages employees to be their best, bringing innovative solutions to reach the skin care professional and consumer. We are highly energetic, passionate, and results-oriented. You will find that Dermalogica is a very special place, with tremendous opportunities ahead for us, all building upon a record of achievement.
Dermalogica is a growing business with global consumer retail sales of $700m, at a healthy operating margin. The challenge for us as the number one professional skin care brand, is to continue to grow ahead of the market through product innovation, expansion in retail, building our digital capabilities and evolving our approach to education. Canada is an established and profitable market with > 1,000 customer locations. In addition, we have a fast-growing ecommerce business and recently opened our first company owned flagship store in Toronto.
The key role for the finance team is to support the business delivering actions to deliver double digit growth in Canada over the next 5 years, whilst improving profitability and maintaining the high standards of financial control that currently exist.
Dermalogica is seeking a dynamic and talented Finance manager
This role has full end to end accountability for Finance in Canada. All finance operations (with a team of 3 direct reports) are delivered and governed locally, with risk management a key function of the role. The role also includes statutory reporting, tax, insurance, company administration and legal requirements in Canada. Partnering the General Managers in each, the finance manager provides finance leadership for the key long-term value drivers of the business, aligned to the global Dermalogica strategic priorities. To aggressively grow market share, we will need to assess different investment levers such as brand marketing investment, retail associate costs, education, advertising, trade promotional investment, business overheads (general, selling & marketing) and CAPEX. Analytics and performance management are critical part of the role, empowering our sales, marketing, education and operations teams to use data to improve results. Success in role is balanced between delivery of the short-term business results, sustainable growth, driving core operating margin through cost leverage, managing cash and meeting all risk & compliance requirements.
Key Job Accountabilities:
1. Finance operations – full accountability for operation and control of key finance processes; order to cash, procure to pay, record to report (local and Unilever), banking & cash management, tax, external audit. A critical part of this role is the responsibility for the operational systems through which these processes are delivered (ERP, WMS, store POS, ecommerce platform, banking, payment gateways etc)
2. Risk management – partner the senior management team to ensure key business risks (financial and reputational) are managed. This includes responsibility for insurance.
3. Driving business performance through analytics
a. Develop standard reporting and analytical tools in Tableau & Power BI
b. Partner the general manager to deliver in year financial targets (Sales Growth, GM% and COM%)
c. Understand key performance drivers and frame investment choices.
d. Deliver Corporate performance submissions (results / forecast / budget)
e. Deliver working capital targets.
f. Build more in-depth analytical tools to support the sales team in opening new doors and reducing churn of existing doors.
4. Improve return on investment (ROI)
a. Price and promotions - Establish price and promotional guidelines for sales team to operate
b. BMI incl. retail associates
c. Education & overheads
d. CAPEX investment in stores and retail counters
5. Channel expansion
a. Ecommerce – support the ecommerce managers in each market to develop analytical tools to drive; higher conversion, AOV, customer loyalty (fewer one-time buyers), return on ad spend and to build subscription revenue.
b. Retail & flagship store profitability – build robust P&L models by store to understand where interventions are needed at an operational level
6. Long term financial planning – establish a 3-year financial framework for Dermalogica Canada that flows through to in year targets and investment choices.
7. Local statutory requirements – this role is a legal Company Director, taking the lead on company administration matters on behalf of the board.
Education and Experience:
Other skills and abilities:
- Prior experience in a commercial finance role within Prestige consumer goods or services.
- Experience working with large complex data from multiple sources.
- Finance degree or accounting qualification
- Track record of delivering real business results.
- Ability to engage others, integrate into new situations and to work effectively in teams.
- High level analytical ability to turn complex problems into simple plans.
- Ability to communicate financial messages in business language to the wider business.
- Courage to challenge established norms in a constructive way and drive change.
- Passion to develop themselves and finance team capabilities.
- Ability to be objective and calm in high pressure situations.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Dermalogica strives to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free. If you require any accommodation, please advise Human Resources in advance of attending the interview.
At Dermalogica, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. Dermalogica is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
Expected start date:
$120,000.00 to $135,000.00 /year