Waypoints is a registered, non-profit charity that has been operating in Fort McMurray since 1982. Waypoints offers facilities, programs and services for people that have experienced, or are experiencing domestic violence and/or abuse, or sexual assault and/or abuse. Waypoints’ also provides the community with public awareness events, initiatives and educational programs to increase the prevention of violence and abuse in the Wood Buffalo Region. Waypoints operates Unity House, an Emergency Women and Children's Shelter, the Opportunities for Change Centre, The Sexual Assault and Abuse Healing Centre, and The Compass, home of our Second Stage Shelter for women and children in need of transitional housing, as well as affordable housing.
Reports To: Shelter Manager
Terms and Employment
- Part-Time (23 hours per week)
- Ability to flex schedule and attend after hours meetings required
- Shift rotation is Wednesday 1:00 pm to 6:30 pm (with a half hour unpaid break) and Thursday to Saturday 11:00 am to 6:00 pm (with a 1 hour unpaid break)
- Wednesdays have two shifts that overlap for grocery and cleaning: 10:30 am-4:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 6:30 pm both with a ½ hour break
- $19.00 per Hour plus $6.40 per hour COLA (Cost of Living Allowance)
The Cook facilitates the timely and accurate production of meal deliveries that meet general and individual dietary requirements. The Cook adheres to all policies and regulations for safety, hygiene and facility food preparation guidelines. The Cook performs cleaning activities within well established guidelines and assigned areas. This position must provide clean, sanitary, comfortable, orderly and satisfying surroundings for the residents, employees, and public. The Cook promotes sanitary conditions which prevent the spread of infection and odours.
- Team Work
- Quality Orientation
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Operating Equipment
- Ethics and Integrity
- Ensure all menu items are prepared and served according to Waypoints policies and procedures.
- Assure that the presentation of all menu items adheres to the established standards.
- Prepare meals on menus and based on nutritional programs and individual plans.
- Ensure the quality of meals in regards to taste, presentation and dietary requirements and are prepared in a timely manner.
- Ensure quality and safety of food by performing standard and any additional sanitary measures including sweeping of the floors, cleaning of surfaces, as well as proper covering and storage of food items according to standards and procedures.
- Work at efficient and consistent pace.
- Ensure that each client receives meals corresponding to their dietary requirements within the portion control and Health standards.
- Follow proper reporting procedures for accidents and incidents to ensure follow-up and prevention and Report observations concerning structural and equipment wear, defects and malfunctioning to the Manager.
- Assure that all food and other departmental supplies are ordered and received in a timely manner so that adequate inventory levels are maintained to support volume or anticipated volume.
- Report any infraction in the food services department policies and procedures.
- Clean floors with dry mops, wet mops, sweeps, waxes, buffs, disinfects where and when necessary and empty and clean garbage and wastebaskets.
- Clean movable and stationary furnishings and fixtures: Dusts, spot cleans or washes, disinfects when necessary, polishes where required. This includes the cleaning of ledges, shelves, vents, etc.
- Clean walls, windows, doors, and ceilings in kitchen/dinning area: Spot clean between washings, washes, disinfect when necessary. Walls and ceilings and ceiling fixtures are cleaned as scheduled.
- Ensure cleanliness of entrances and exits; removal of any hazards or obstructions
- Participate in cleaning residential rooms when assistance is needed
- Maintain equipment used in performing duties.
- Must handle various cleaning solvents, chemicals, etc. Must comply with all regulations such as OSHA, EPA.
- Adhere to all regulations including blood borne pathogens, infection control, use of hazardous materials and fire safety.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Professional diploma or food services management experience required.
- RCMP Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Check
- Class 5 License
- Intervention Record Check
- Any satisfactory combination of education, training, experience, or abilities in a related field.
- On feet most of workday.
- Pushes, pulls, lifts (up to 50lbs required), cleaning equipment and supplies,
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English as to be understood effectively by another individual.
- Minimum 1 year of cooking experience required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of food, quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation required.
- Knowledge of methods and procedures for serving food, principles of sanitation, and principles of safe food handling required.
- Highly flexible, with solid interpersonal skills that allow one to work effectively in a diverse working environment.
- Strong work ethic and positive team attitude.
- Interacts with residents, family members, staff, visitors, government agencies/personnel under all circumstances, which may include traumatic situations.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and Cover Letter
Applications will be considered until a suitable candidate is found.
Job Type: Part-time
- Fort McMurray, AB (Required)