Poundmaker’s Lodge Treatment Centres is growing and expanding and as such, we have an available position for an individual who will assume responsibility as an Addictions Counselor. The overall objective is to provide support to our adult clients. The responsibilities include providing education, prevention, and treatment services within a residential treatment centre environment or as part of our Mobile Treatment Team. This also includes the integration of cultural and spiritual practices of FNMI cultures as well as a wholistic, comprehensive, Indigenous based recovery model.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Candidate will provide addiction related assessments and referrals, counselling, group facilitation and leadership, individual counselling, case management and consultations in a professional and therapeutic environment. Furthermore, the successful candidate will assist in planning workshops, group activities and developing programs geared towards addiction recovery programming. The individual must have the ability to work within a team environment.
- Post-secondary education in Social Work and addictions field is preferred, however the following equivalencies will be considered: Masters of Social Work and some related experience; a related university degree and related experience;
- Experience in human social services delivery, counselling experience;
- Experience working with or knowledge of, Indigenous communities and culture will be considered an asset.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Maintaining confidentiality is essential;
- Effective group facilitation and presentation skills and conflict resolution skills;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and computer literacy skills;
- The successful candidate will require a valid Alberta Driver’s license and have access to a reliable vehicle. Final candidates for this position will be asked to undergo a security screening;
- Demonstration of a healthy lifestyle will be an asset;
- As per the Health Professions Act, successful applicants must be registered with the Alberta College of Social Workers (ACSW), or their governing body, to be eligible for this position, if: (a) they have a degree in social work from any university in North America that is accredited by the Canadian Association for Social Work Education (CASWE) or the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE); or (b) they have graduated from an approved social work diploma program in Alberta or (c) they have, within the last five years, been a registered, certified or licensed social worker in another province or with a member of the Association of Social Work Boards. Please be prepared to provide your registration details at the time of interview. For more information please visit acsw.ab.ca
Starting wage will be set according to education, skills and experience.
Posting will stay open until a suitable candidate is found.
Resumes without cover letters will NOT be accepted. Cover letter must demonstrate your experience with Indigenous populations. Resume must clearly outline how your previous work experience demonstrates your qualifications and requirements for this position. Interested candidates should fax or email their cover letter and resume
Job Type: Full-time