For those who dream of advancing our space in the Universe and on Earth, we’ll take you there.
Serving the world from our Canadian home and our global offices, MDA is an international space mission partner and robotics & space operations, satellite systems and Geointelligence pioneer with a 50-year story of firsts on and above the Earth. Today, we're leading the charge towards viable Moon colonies, enhanced Earth observation, communication in a hyper-connected world, and more.
We’re fueled by a pioneering spirit that carries us beyond. And together we enable highly skilled people to continually push boundaries and tackle big challenges requiring solutions that endure and inspire.
Our mission is to turn data into insight. From detecting changes in fragile ecosystems to monitoring northern ice floes and shipping routes, our near-real time data of Earth observation and the environment makes our Geointelligence team a leader in geospatial imagery, ground stations, enterprise geospatial systems and defence programs.
We’re on the hunt for a talented Co-op Student op with a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering or computer science to join the Research team at our Richmond, B.C. office for 8 months, starting in May 2021. The successful candidate will support diverse research projects in developing data exploitation software and performing experiments for optical and spectral sensors. The planned work involves assisting in experimental design and execution, data analysis, and coding algorithms and simulations.
- Support design and set up of experiments involving a spectral camera
- Support analysis of complex research problems in the fields of remote sensing
- Development of computationally intensive algorithms to advance existing software solutions
- Software prototyping and software test case construction, execution, and testing;
- Software simulation of scenes and camera capture
- Assist in testing data processing and machine learning approaches developed
- Support the preparation of technical documents and presentations
Note that not all skills are necessary and we will strive to assign tasks based on skill set and desired work.
- Operating Systems: Windows and Linux environments
- Languages: Python, C/C++
- Methodologies: Object Oriented Design
- Applications: Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Some previous experience and/or knowledge of image processing
- Some previous experience with experimental design
- Highly motivated – contributes to problem solving within the team
- Able to understand and work with complex research tasks
- Participates in and contributes to team environment
- Strong verbal and written technical communication skills
- Problem decomposition and solution development
- Ability to work remotely with minimal supervision
- Physics: Optics, remote sensing, Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)
- Machine Learning: Libraries and frameworks (e.g. scikit-learn, TensorFlow), Models (SVM, neural nets, etc.), Deep Learning, GPU utilization
- Mathematics: Probability and statistics, linear algebra, vector geometry, linear and non-linear optimization techniques
- Signal Processing: Image processing, statistical signal processing, signal theory, filtering
- Operations Research/ Optimization: Discrete optimization, combinatorial optimization, linear and non-linear optimization techniques, metaheuristics, CPLEX/ Gurobi
- Other technical skills: Geospatial Analysis, Git/Subversion, Test Driven Development, Software Design, Databases, AWS, and OpenCV
Successful candidates must obtain and hold security clearance at the reliability status level, and pass security assessment for the Controlled Goods Program (CGP).
We’re a dream team of purpose-driven, collaborative and passionate people, and we are constantly looking for others to join #TeamMDA to ignite new and innovative approaches to problem-solving that push us forward to improve life on and above Earth. If you’re excited to expand our place in space and driven to inspire the next generation, we’ll take you there.
We have entered a new era of exploration and development, and MDA welcomes all who yearn to suit up and be part of it. An equal opportunity employer prizing diversity, integrity and collaboration, we are committed to growing MDA’s and Canada’s leadership in this next golden age.
MDA is an equal opportunity employer prizing diversity and inclusion. We are committed to treating all employees and applicants for employment with respect and dignity. If you require assistance and/or reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please feel free to notify us.
Reference ID: R09794 & R09795
Contract length: 8 months
Expected Start Date: 2021-05-03
Job Types: Full-time, Internship
Salary: Up to $1.00 per year
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Strengthening our workforce is more important than ever to meet our customers’ mission-critical needs. We are continuing to hire many talented people, and we are closely monitoring COVID-19 to ensure safe hiring practices are used
- Temporarily due to COVID-19