Shelter House & Kwae-Kii-Win Thunder Bay
Internal & External Posting
Tuesday - Saturday, Midnights (11:30pm - 7:30am)
Saturday - Wednesday, Midnights (11:30pm - 7:30am)
Thursday - Monday ,Midnights (11:30pm - 7:30am)
**** When applying please specify rotations that most interest you ****
Client Support Services
- To be directly involved in the case management of designated residents.
- Receive and admit residents according to designated procedures.
- Assess and assist with a resident’s personal needs e.g. hygiene, nutrition, medical, and/or emotional.
- Support a harm reduction model of resident care.
- Communicate effectively with residents including active listening and problemsolving around barriers and /or referrals to appropriate community resources to address resident needs.
- Monitor resident activities and provide effective intervention in crisis situations.
- Facilitate appropriate program activities for residents.
- Monitor incoming/outgoing people and direct visitors appropriately.
- Work cooperatively and effectively with other staff, volunteers, & residents.
- Maintain an effective communication tool and record of resident activities to ensure effective service delivery by documenting information/observations/impressions which may affect a resident’s case plan.
- Provide assistance to volunteers, as required.
- Accept all donations in an appropriate manner.
- Maintain accurate records of all donations.
- Assist residents in maintaining a clean living space.
- Assist with inventory control as delegated by Operations Supervisor.
- Report any necessary maintenance to the Operations Supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Operations Supervisor.
Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Report all health and safety concerns to an Operations Supervisor or a representative of the Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee.
- Take every reasonable precaution to ensure the safety and well-being of residents.
- To work in a healthy and safe manner
- A diploma, degree or certificate in a related field such as Addictions Counselling, Personal Support Worker, Social Work, Police Foundations, Aboriginal Canadian Relations, and Aboriginal Community Advocacy or equivalent combination of education and/or experience is preferred.
- Education and/or Experience in directly assisting persons with psycho/social/physical, educational, emotional and/or environmental conditions.
- Strong communication skills specifically in conflict resolution and nonviolent crisis intervention.
- Previous experience working in a shelter environment is preferred.
- Previous experience with life skills such as cooking, cleaning, and managing finances is desirable.
- Knowledge of harm reduction, community service agencies and the homeless population are assets.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgement, perform job duties with minimal supervision and problem solve.
- Demonstrated ability to assist in program development.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with residents, staff, community agencies and the public.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $16.78 /hour
- Thunder Bay, ON (Required)