At McMaster, our research strength is one of our most prized assets. We’re home to some of the best minds and facilities in the country, with research income and output rivaling those of universities more than twice our size. Our core research community comprises individuals from around the globe: some 1,000 full-time faculty, nearly 5,000 graduate students, and several hundred post-doctoral fellows, research associates and skilled technicians. Their research contributions place us among the world’s top 70 universities and have earned us the title of Canada’s most research-intensive university for four years running. Our interdisciplinary approach to research and world-class infrastructure – across our six faculties – position us to tackle some of the most complex challenges of our time.
About the Position:
The Office of the Vice President, Research leads the strategic development of the research portfolio in which the University’s research infrastructure plays a pivotal role. Housed within our departments, centres and institutes are core research platforms – complex suites of specialized equipment, services and expertise – that support and advance the groundbreaking work of our researchers and give their industry and community partners a competitive advantage.
We are currently seeking a Director, Research Platforms Support who will:
- Lead the development, implementation and effective operational management of core research platforms.
- Develop institutional guidelines, policies and procedures for development, progress reporting and review.
- Facilitate the acquisition of funding to support core research platforms and infrastructure from a variety of sources including government funding bodies and users (both internal and external).
- Develop and recommend standards and key performance indicators to measure the quality of service of core research platforms, and also research centres and institutes.
- Support the University Research Infrastructure Oversight Board.
Who we’re looking for:
The ideal candidate is an accomplished bridge-builder, with demonstrated stakeholder relations experience in a University or private collaborative research setting. With a proven capacity to facilitate effective governance, administrative oversight and sustainable management of research platforms, the Director must also have experience in:
- Developing and implementing long-term institution-wide strategies for effective operations and maintenance of research platforms.
- Developing processes for institutional decision-making within a research setting.
- Providing comprehensive reports to facilitate decision-making.
- Providing oversight for best practices for the development, operations and maintenance of research platforms, centres and institutes.
The successful candidate has at least five years of experience in senior management in an academic or private research environment, a post graduate degree (preference given to those with a background in sciences or engineering), and a proven track record of:
- Collaborative and inclusive leadership.
- Partnership development.
- Knowledge and appreciation of relevant policies and procedures and role of external funders.
- Project management and continuous improvement.
- Long-term strategic planning.
- Effective execution of change management principles.
- Efficient operational management.
- Strong familiarity with advanced technical skills for data analysis and information distribution/reporting.
- Experience with project management software tools, methodologies, and best practices
Employment Equity Statement
In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration, and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity. The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact the Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247).
Job Type: Permanent
Salary: $92,639.00-$138,959.00 per year
- Temporarily due to COVID-19