Food Services Lead Hand
At the University of Manitoba our strength lies in our community — individuals who are driven by curiosity and work together to shape a better world.
Our commitment to discovery encompasses everything we do; from the education we offer students to the workplace we offer employees. Experience top benefits, world-class facilities and a community that inspires one another to carve their own path.
Recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top 25 Employers for nine consecutive years and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, UM is ready to help you take the next step in your career!
The Food Service Lead Hand, under general supervision of the Management Team, works “hands-on” independently or directly supervises subordinate Food Service Cooks, Food Service Workers and Food Service Utility Workers in the day to day operation of a specific area within the department of University of Manitoba Food Services.
· Actively prepares and supervises the preparation of all meals. Plans meals ahead ensuring product is thawed in advance of meal preparation.
· Ensures adequate food and related supplies are in sufficient supply to meet food production requirements.
· Ensures that all staff are performing duties to the standard required for appropriate levels of product quality, customer service while meeting all regulations of Government and the University of Manitoba.
· Assists the Catering Manager in the development of client/customer needs. Produces the same. Develops and implements theme events.
· Responsible for the ordering of all food and supplies required for the day to day operation of the area within the department. Requisitions food and supplies from the Stores Department and approved suppliers authorized by the Executive Chef or Management Team.
· Physically counts and records weekly inventories.
· Advises Executive Chef and/or Management Team of any operational concerns.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Plans and coordinates the daily kitchen duties for the day to day operation of areas within the department.
· Operates all kitchen equipment in a knowledgeable, safe and responsible manner.
· Practices and ensures safe food handling including proper storage and temperature storage.
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
· High School Diploma is required.
· Certificate in Cooking from a recognized food service program or institution is required.
· Five or more years of experience in a private sector hospitality environment which involved high volume and/or high-end food service operation.
· Supervisory experience considered an asset.
· Experience working within a Unionized environment is considered an asset.
· Must demonstrate verbal and written skills acceptable for performing responsibilities.
· Standing most of the time.
· Repetitive work and motions; awkward positions and lifting up to 40kg.
· Will be required to provide acceptable Criminal Record and Vulnerable Persons Registry checks
· Acceptable Attendance and punctuality required.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
· Comprehensive group benefits program and pension plan.
· Employee and Family Assistance Program.
· A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s career portal, UM Careers where you will find the full job specification: HTTPS: //VIPRECPROD.AD.UMANITOBA.CA/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=16472
Closing Date: August 15, 2021
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual and gender identities, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact or 204-474-7195. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of "The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy" (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.
Reference ID: HTTPS: //VIPRECPROD.AD.UMANITOBA.CA/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=16472
Application deadline: 2021-08-15
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
Salary: $23.56-$24.51 per hour
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance