DEPARTMENT: SK’ELEP SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE
SUPERVISOR: SCHOOL PRINCIPAL
TERMS: FULL TIME (School year 2019 – 2020)
JOB REFERENCE#: 2019 - 046
NATURE & SCOPE OF WORK:
Reporting to the Principal, the lead teacher is responsible for working with teachers, support staff and parents to provide student supports that encourage holistic growth. The successful candidate will collaborate with Education teams on innovative programs offered to students while increasing student attendance, academic success, self-identity, health, wellness and culture.
- Mentor and support classroom teachers in the areas of:
- Classroom instruction, particularly in the areas of literacy and numeracy
- Classroom management, providing a positive, safe and caring learning environment
- Professional Growth Plans
- Professional Learning Communities
- Mentor and support staff in meeting the needs of the students
- Work collaboratively with members of the school-based team, including parents, to ensure that students are on track to be successful and promote lifelong learning
- Provide relief for teachers as needed and required by the school principal
- Provide administrative supports as needed
- Additional duties as assigned by the school principal
- Perform all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the Sk’elep policies, standards and procedures, and as directed by the Sk’elep School of Excellence Principal.
- Maintain confidentiality on all matters relating to the affairs of the Sk’elep School of Excellence.
REQUIRED ABILITIES, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Minimum of Five (5) successful years of related teaching experience in an elementary school
- Excellent teaching and leadership skills
- Extensive knowledge of Secwepemc culture, history and lifestyle is required
- Dedication to the improvement of the teaching profession
- Knowledge of and experience with Professional Growth Plans and Professional Learning Communities
- Cultural sensitivity, with experience working in First Nations schools and communities
- Knowledge of and experience with BC’s Redesigned Curriculum, with particular emphasis on the inclusion of Aboriginal Worldviews & Perspectives and First Peoples Principles of Learning
- Commitment to active participation in the school and extended learning community to ensure student success
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in the planning and delivery of the school’s goals
- Committed to making collaborative decisions about instructional design and selection of instructional materials based on student needs and data
- Experience with programs such as Readwell, Reading Mastery, Saxon Math, DIBELS, and culturally relevant content & resources
- Demonstrated effective classroom management skills for maintaining a positive classroom environment
- Valid British Columbia Professional Teaching Certificate
- Member in good standing with the Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch
- Bachelor of Education Degree, TQS Category 5
- For new hires, and for those working in designated positions of trust, including those working directly with vulnerable persons, no formal offer of employment will be made until an applicant completes and passes a criminal record check - vulnerable section.
PAY GRADE/SALARY: As per Sk’elep Salary Grid
ASSETS BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Band Member of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc
- First Nations Ancestry
- Ability to Speak Secwepemc Language
- Basic First Aid
HOURS OF WORK: Start time 8:00 a.m. Standard hours as per Teachers’ Regulations
Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Deadline for the Job posting is June 25th, 2019 to be received by 2:00 p.m.
Submit Job Application Form, cover letter, current resume, and 3 professional references, one of which should be from your most recent principal,
online: https://tkemlups.ca/job-application-form/, by fax: 250.828.9847, or in person, at our Human Resources office #200 – 330 Chief Alex Thomas Way.
Office Hours are Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. & closed for lunch from noon to 1:00
We require each applicant to fill out
an online Job Application Form
Any late submissions or submissions without the job application form will not be considered.
Job Type: Full-time