On behalf of our client, Centurion Lumber Ltd, we are searching for a Controller to join their team in Chemainus, BC. Centurion Lumber is a third-generation family business that manufactures commodity and value-added wood products at plants on Vancouver Island and the interior of BC. They operate a wholesale business, manage a sales group that markets wood products around the world and have an expanding trucking business. Centurion lumber stands for premium quality and exceptional service and they hold those same high standards for their team members.
Reporting to the CFO, the Controller plans, coordinates, and manages day-to-day financials, accounting, costing, and budgeting. The Controller will collaboratively work with team members in various divisions while adding value to the business through developing solid accounting and financial reporting.
The successful candidate will be a hands-on individual that can take initiative while identifying and implementing proper processes and procedures. They will possess a “roll up their sleeves” attitude with a history of producing results. Individuals motivated by the chance to contribute to the overall success of a reputable company, and who thrive on the challenges and opportunities that comes with working in a head office will want to pursue this opportunity.
- Assist CFO in the day to day full cycle accounting activities, including budget preparation and monthly or annual reports
- Manage the accounting period end close process, including preparation of working papers, account reconciliations, oversight of accruals and general ledger
- Prepare monthly financial statements and supporting schedules for logging, sawmilling and wholesale activities as well as a consolidated balance sheet
- Provision of quarterly income statements and balance sheets
- Perform daily bank reconciliations and cash account management
- Verify accuracy of sales invoices and issuing invoices
- Review sales orders, receiving of goods, vendor invoices, and approve payments
- Review and analyze job orders, inventory transactions and ensure controls over inventory/asset management are in place
- Review GST/PST and other government remittances
- Supervise and provide training as needed to other Accounting staff and review their work
- Maintain internal controls and establish best practices solutions to division requirements
- Monitor compliance to ensure controls are in place and to manage key financial and business risks
- Act as a liaison to external auditors and prepare the year-end documents for audit completion
- Manage interactions with tax advisors, bank representatives and regulatory bodies
- Generate ad hoc reports and analysis as requested
Skills and Qualifications
- Recent CPA, 1-3 years with designation
- Demonstrated experience with full cycle accounting
- Ability to recognize and communicate efficiencies and implement new processes
- Advanced analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly responsible and reliable with keen attention to detail
- Strong proficiency in all Microsoft products, specifically Excel
- Strong problem-solving abilities combined with a natural curiosity
- A positive attitude and a can-do approach to any task is essential
This role will also appeal to a recent CPA who is detailed-oriented and enjoys working both independently and as part of a team. If you feel you have the demonstrated background and are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please forward your resume from Indeed!
We thank all interested applicants, however; only those selected to move forward will be contacted. All finalists will be subject to a successful background and reference check along with written proof of education.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Accounting: 3 years (Preferred)