Under the general supervision of the Principal or Delegate, provides personal, medical and physiological services and assists with the delivery of special programs to students classified by the Ministry of Education as Physically Handicapped, Multipli-Handicapped, Autistic, Moderately or Profoundly Mentally Handicapped, Dependent, Deaf or Blind.
- Assists the teacher in the delivery and supervision of special programs to designated students and classes as outlined by the Individual Education Programs.
- Provides personal care to designated students including feeding, dressing, undressing, toiletting, cleaning, washing, lifting into and out of wheelchairs and buses.
- Provides medical care to designated students as directed by health professionals, including administering medication.
- Monitors and records group or individual activities and progress with respect to health, behavioural and academic issues.
- Performs medically-directed, individual physiotherapy exercise and treatment.
- Attends to the physical safety of students during swimming, horseback riding, exercises or play activities.
- Monitors student behaviour and may be required to remove or restrain to avoid potential disruptive outbreaks (possibly violent).
- Confers with school-based team regarding Individual Education Programs.
- Operates, services, adjusts and sanitizes specialized personal and medical care equipment.
- Operates, adjusts and assists with specialized child-specific equipment.
- Communicates with students using sign language, Braille or other specialized skills or equipment as required.
- Assists in the teaching function by conducting drills, reading or listening to reading and assisting reluctant learners.
- Assists classroom teacher in the gathering of resource materials and organizing charts and displays.
- Operates a personal computer for educational purposes.
- Performs back-up duties to other Education Assistants within the school complex.
- May, on occasion, be required to perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Grade 12 Diploma
- Successful completion of a college or university recognized program of related studies (such as the School and Community Support WorkerCertificate from Vancouver Island University or equivalent) complete with 2 practicums
- First Aid with CPR
- American Sign Language Certification would be an asset
- Capability to physically perform the job duties
- Experience in a personal care focused job for a period of greater than 3 months (such as a Group Home, Seniors Home, Home Support, etc.)
This is a unionized position. Job description #46 is available at sd79.bc.ca.
Please forward completed resumes including official transcripts, Grade 12 or equivalent certificate and a covering letterindicating how you believe you meet our qualifications, and three work references with permission to contact. Please submit electronic applications as one PDF.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: $29.60 per hour
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place