Bakery Sales Clerk
Safeway grocery stores provide an exceptional food shopping experience to consumers from Vancouver, British Columbia to Thunder Bay, Ontario. We are the newest member of Sobeys Inc.’s retail food offering which serves the needs of Canadians with more than 1,500 stores in over 800 communities from coast-to-coast.
Whether it's your first job or you're ready for a new challenge, we have a career to fit your life. Our commitment to delivering top quality products and superior service to our customers, and for giving back to the communities we serve has earned us a reputation as an employer of choice for those looking for an exciting career in food retail.
A day in the life of a Bakery Sales Clerk:
You are an essential part of the Bakery team, supporting our Bakers and getting the product to the shelves. The sweet aromas of our own fresh-baked Artisan breads, pastries, cookies, and muffins make our Bakery a must-stop place for customers. It’s a fun sales opportunity and a creative one, too. You’ll find yourself able to give truly personal service here.
- No previous experience required
- Upholds and complies with company procedures, standards and policies in all situations
- Greets customers in a polite and friendly manner
- Demonstrates superior customer service in accordance with Safeway’s programs
- Assist customers with product selection and special orders
- Set-up and maintain displays of bakery product
- Wrap and slice bread products
- Fill showcases in department and ensure bakery products are properly displayed and rotated
- Perform general cleaning and sanitizing duties
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Highly motivated and team oriented
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written form
- Possess strong customer service qualities
- Works in a safe and responsible manner
- Available to work flexible hours
- Evening and weekend availability is strongly encouraged
- Must be available to be scheduled anytime on Sunday (Alberta Only)
Physical Requirements (Seldom: Not Daily, Rare: 0-5% of shift, Occasional: 6-33% of shift, Frequent: 34-66% of shift, Constant: 66-100% of shift)
- Frequent lifting of up to 15 pounds
- Constant standing, gripping
- Frequent bending, walking, reaching, twisting, carrying, pushing or pulling
- Occasional lifting of between 15-45 lbs including waist level and low level lifts
Why work for us:
We offer regular pay increases for hourly employees, flexible scheduling and a comprehensive benefit plan that includes employer funded prescription drug coverage, vision care, dental coverage, and pension plan for eligible employees.
We are looking for friendly, enthusiastic individuals who enjoy giving our customers the best shopping experience. If you want the chance to join one of the best retail teams in the industry, enhance your skill set, learn from experts and advance your career, this is the place to be. We are an award winning organization that is renowned for its inclusive work environment and recognized as a great place to work.
Sobeys Inc. is committed to creating a respectful and supportive workplace that attracts and retains a workforce representative of the more than 1,500 communities we serve from coast to coast.
We believe in providing our employees with an environment where they feel included, respected and valued for the unique talents and perspectives they bring to our organization. All of our employees play an important role in achieving our purpose of helping Canadians Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better.
Job Types: Part-time, Permanent
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Store discount
- Vision care
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability