ALS provides a broad range of testing and analytical services to a wide variety of end markets and industries around the globe. We continue to remain a leader in the testing services industry and have established a distinguished reputation for providing best in class results and client services.
ALS Environmental, Edmonton
About the Position:
This position will assist with routine laboratory functions, such as preparing client samples for analysis and routine lab maintenance. You will be working independently and in a team environment, with an emphasis on providing quality and efficient service to clients.
- Preparing, subsampling, filtration, extraction, and digestion of samples of various matrices (including but not limited to soil, water, product, plant and animal tissue, etc.);
- Operate simple lab equipment such as pipettes, shakers, centrifuges, pH meters etc.;
- Prepare all required reagents, standards, reference materials, etc.;
- Generate worklists from LIMS software (training is provided);
- Carry out all required record-keeping & documentation;
- Perform all required quality control procedures;
- Follow the Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) requirements;
- Monitor inventory of consumables;
- Monitor controlled equipment;
- General laboratory clean-up and maintenance;
- Assist in sample flow and archiving as well as data archiving;
- Produce all the above within specific turnaround times;
- Use correct methods in accordance with the established procedures and schedules while ensuring analytical quality;
- Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Intermediate English communication skills required (auditory, verbal, written, and reading);
- Basic user of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook), with basic computer skills;
- Accurate and efficient data entry skill is an asset;
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks accurately in a fast-paced environment;
- Well organized, with the ability to meet strict deadlines;
- Analytical and process oriented, with the ability to critically think in ambiguous situations;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
- Commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent required;
- Some experience working in a fast-paced, production, and/or preparation environment;
- Knowledge from high school science courses and/or basic laboratory safety is an asset;
- Experience working with chemicals or in a laboratory setting (ex. school) is an asset, but not required.
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
- Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
- Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required;
- Ability to stand for a full shift;
- Ability to sit at a desk and do general office work, which includes periodic sedentary responsibilities;
- You may be exposed to unpleasant odours;
- Please note that ALS operates 24/7 and will require day, afternoon, and graveyard shift work including weekends.
ALS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where the different strengths and perspectives of each employee are both recognized and valued. We therefore encourage applications from all individuals; particularly women, First Nations, people with disabilities and visible minorities.
ALS also welcomes applications from people with all levels of ability. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.