Who is SPARK?
SPARK The Energy Credit Union is dedicated to fulfilling the financial needs of Albertans working in and supporting our dynamic energy industries. As an Alberta-owned financial institution, we offer an extensive suite of financial products and services, including no-fee banking, student, personal, and home financing, and professional wealth management. Over 60 years strong, we continue to provide distinctive products, custom solutions, and caring, personal service.
Are you an experienced financial services professional with a deep understanding of credit underwriting practices and guidelines? Do you get excited about optimizing decision-making processes, while balancing risk management practices and maintaining a consistent focus on service excellence?
If this describes you, then you might just be the person we’re looking for!
SPARK The Energy Credit Union is looking to for a Team Lead to manage a team of retail loan support coordinators. Under your guidance and leadership, the team will be responsible for the assessment of loan and mortgage application in adherence with established credit underwriting policies. Your team is accountable for reviewing required documentation for accuracy and completion, and for closing and advancing funds on approved applications while meeting internal and external service level expectation. This is a new role within an established organization in the midst of significant transformation, so our ideal candidate is someone who is able to manage and cope with rapid change, and sees change as an opportunity (not a challenge!)
- Manage the integrated implementation of policy, process, and procedural changes of current state lending practices, with a keen focus on process optimization, translating business requirements into solutions while collaborating with business subject-matter experts and managers
- Provide direction and guidance on complex lending decisions, while remaining within established limits and ensuring adherence to policies and guidelines
- Manage the capacity of the team through efficient work delegation and careful monitoring of volumes within the workflow
- Manage the performance of team members through ongoing training, feedback, and coaching
- Maintain positive relationships with external partners such as regulators, mortgage insurers, appraises, title insurance companies, and solicitors
Experience and/or Educational Requirements:
- Completed post-secondary education in business management or financial services
- 4-5 years previous mortgage underwriting experience required
- 2 or more years people management experience preferred
- Additional experience in personal banking and investment is an asset
Skills and Competencies:
- Big picture problem solving, coupled with detail-oriented thinking
- People leadership, team empowerment, and trust-building
- Ability to influence and affect positive change
- Above-average computer skills in Microsoft Office applications and aptitude to learn other programs
Additional preference will be given to candidates with:
- Expert level of knowledge of Celero Banking system software
- Strong understanding of the provincial and federal financial services regulatory standards and procedures
- Experience in process optimization and change management
What’s in it for you?
SPARK is on a mission to grow, and we’re energized by the challenge to be our best and to help our members thrive by providing them high value products and services. Join a diverse, vibrant, and passionate team where you can build something great.
We offer a team-based environment and a competitive compensation plan which includes perks such as:
- 11 personal health days
- 3 weeks paid vacation
- Employer-subsidized health and dental plans (after 3 probation period)
- 6% employer-matched RRSPs (after 1 year of employment)
- Continuing education subsidies
- Free banking
- Employee pricing on loans, mortgages, and credit cards
Our office is located in the Calgary downtown core – a stone’s throw away from Eau Claire and Prince’s Island Park. We are easily accessible by transit, with major bus routes and the C-Train only a few blocks away.
What are you waiting for? Apply now!
Job Type: Full-time
- people leadership: 2 years (Preferred)
- Mortgage/Credit Underwriting: 4 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)
- Calgary, AB (Required)
- English (Required)