St. Joseph Communications (SJC) really comes down to one thing: 1,000 awesome associates focused on providing solutions that go “beyond content” and beyond our clients’ expectations. Whether the channel is mobile, online, print, bricks-and-mortar, or all of the above, SJC creates integrated marketing solutions that deliver a seamless brand experience. SJC also publishes some of Canada’s most iconic media brands, including Chatelaine, FASHION, FLARE, Maclean’s, Today’s Parent and Toronto Life.
SJC has been named as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies for 16 consecutive years with distinction as a Platinum member.
Are you ready to join a forward thinking, innovative, and solution-focused team? Then come join us at SJC in the role of Translator!
You love all things French… the food, fashion, style and language. But what we’re seeking is a translator who “thinks” like a French person.
As a Translator, you understand the unique language and cultural nuances of this market – the idioms, colloquialisms and trends that resonate with French Canadian consumers. You’re able to dissect the English creative meaning and transcribe it into French so it reflects the sentiment and makes sense for this regional audience.
Want to know a bit about your new career? In this role you will
- Translate various publications, primarily flyers and in-store signing, following established copy standards and guidelines as supplied by the client and continuously developed by SJC
- Revise client-supplied translations to ensure high quality standards are maintained and conform to consumer and language laws effective in the Province of Québec
- Partner with creative team to ensure marketing-specific translation graphically aligns with the creative vision of the document
- Follow and help establish standards pertaining to sentence structure, grammar, punctuation, contextual terminology, and formatting to fit the overall style and image of the brand
- Ensure images to related copy blocks on the printed page correspond
- Compare all final PDF files from the imaging department to the final corrected pages submitted from the proofreading department to ensure that they match and images or copy have not dropped off
- Develop a catalogue of common translation usage to build into production guidelines
And a bit about yourself
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in French Translation or equivalent experience
- Fluency in French and English, both written and verbal communication
- Ability to proficiently proofread and translate English language into French-Canadian language and maintain simultaneous cultural context
- Minimum 3 years experience in a similar capacity (preferably retail-oriented proofreading)
- Knowledge of advertising translation standards
- Strong organizational skills
- Extremely detail oriented, accurate, and efficient
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills, and professional interpersonal skills
- Superior time management skills with the ability to multi-task
So what’s in it for you?
- Group Benefits
- 50% discount to GoodLife Fitness
- Perkopolis Perk Program
- Magazine Subscription Program
- Employee pricing at major brands and retailers
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Scholarship Program
- Chairman’s Award peer-recognition program
- TD Home and Auto preferred Insurance program\
Values & Guiding Principles:
These key values are inherent to SJC’s success: innovation, respect, passion, customer focus, proactiveness and accountability. They also guide our everyday behaviour and motivate us to exceed client expectations in all that we do.
Please forward your resume to the email address and indicate the job title in the subject line.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
St. Joseph Communications is an equal opportunity employer.
St. Joseph Communications is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources department if any accommodations are needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
Job Type: Full-time