The ‘Operations Supervisor’ role oversees warehouse and transportation operations of a dedicated McDonald's distributorship with responsibility for planning/scheduling of manpower and equipment of the hourly workforce while nurturing an environment that maximizes employee safety, involvement and morale. Further, this position will administer and monitor daily dispatch while maintaining a master delivery schedule and providing interpretation of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Within the scope of his/her responsibility, the operations supervisor ensures safety is a number one priority through effective daily communications and action plan execution with employees while advocating injury/collision risk management and incident avoidance. The incumbent will further ensure optimized equipment utilization while driving overall cost reductions without impacting store delivery targets/service. This position provides strong technical support as well as direction, guidance & leadership to the Warehouse and Transportation Departments at an assigned distribution center.
- Plan and execute daily manpower requirements for current day and week, keeping overtime to a minimum
- Conduct daily shift meetings, communicating appropriate safety and operational messages, taking suggestions and answering questions
- Assign daily work duties to drivers and warehouse workers ensuring safety, service and productivity and reliability requirements are met • Manage work flows efficiently, meeting the requirements of our Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Maintain Manhattan, and Vocollect programs (knowledge of these software packages an asset)
- Maintain associated employee bids
- Assist in the training of new hires and assist in onboarding • Conduct safety inspections and observations daily
- Prepare and upload the daily route trial, adjusting options for greatest opportunity in maximizing safety, service and cost efficiencies
- Maintain and audit weekly payroll entries for drivers and/or warehouse workers
- Provide training, support and direction to employees to ensure understanding of and adherence to standard operating procedures (SOP’s)
- Oversee quality control for in-house and en-route product
- Conduct near miss, injury and collision investigations, completing corrective actions promptly and communicating resolutions broadly
- Communicate across Warehouse, Transportation and Customer Service departments regarding possible issues impacting our customer or one-another • Review service providers’ performance to ensure service and quality requirements are met and cost controls are met.
- Perform supervisory functions which include follow up with drivers and/or warehouse workers while holding employees accountable through recognition & discipline.
- Demonstrate leadership through effective teamwork and demonstrating a positive attitude
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships across the company
- Participate in training, inspection, investigation and continuous improvement programs
- Collect and record statistical information for reporting purposes.
Facility & Equipment
Required Skills and Experience:
- Ensure compliance with industry, company and sanitation standards, including making sure physical plant and transportation equipment is free from hazards and meets legislated requirements.
Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in business, engineering, logistics or related field.
Ideally shall have three to five years’ experience in high-volume, food service, unionized distribution or logistics.
One to three years of progressively responsible supervisory experience
Strong computer software (ie. MS Office) skills required
Experience with Routing and Onboard Software, a strong asset
Leadership competencies required
Integrative thinker and excellent problem-solving skills.
Strong work ethic, ability to multi-task in a high-pressure work environment
Attention to detail, organization skills
High initiative, self-motivation
Strong, interactive team player.
Excellent time management skills, ability to manage multiple priorities.
Ability to produce accurate and timely reports.
Excellent communication and presentation skills (verbal and written).