WE are Slice Labs (Slice). We’re building a team of innovators and disruptors to change the insurance experience to meet the demands of an on-demand world. We are disrupting the idea that insurance needs to be a fixed product, with a fixed term, with fixed coverage. We believe it can and should be all digital and on-demand, so customers get only the coverage they need, right when they need it. At Slice, we’re focused on ensuring our products provide a positive, individualized customer experience. Our smaller teams invite broader thinking and problem solving, where nobody is pigeonholed into a predetermined role. We work in an open, supportive, environment that values and promotes inclusiveness, innovation, and collaboration. It’s fast-paced, dynamic and fulfilling.
The Controller is accountable for the accounting operations of Slice. This spans the production of periodic financial reports and consolidated financial statements, maintenance of an adequate system ofaccounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with the relevant accounting standards framework (Canadian ASPE, U.S. GAAP, IFRS) standards.
YOU are an effective communicator demonstrating the ability to communicate and influence at all levels both orally and in written form. You are flexible and adaptable enabling you to lead and adjust to evolving needs. You are analytical and possess strong research skills. Your business acumen allows you to rapidly come up to speed on new issues and identify the critical questions to be addressed. You have strong attention to detail with a passion for accuracy and supportable data. You have a team philosophy and strive to build and lead your team to success..
- Timely and accurate completion of month-end close process and production of the monthly financial reporting packages (standalone and consolidated)
- Monthly variance analysis (budget-to-actual, month-over-month, etc.) and reporting any significant issues to the Director
- Own the audit preparation process, taxation activities in all jurisdictions and auditor relationship. Implement audit recommendations
- Develop and maintain well documented and communicated internal controls and financial policies and procedures to ensure complete, accurate, reliable and verifiable accounting and finance data
- Assist in the execution of the operational budget process
- Review and approve payments and transfer ensuring they are supported by valid and complete supporting documentation prior to approving payments
- Maintain and reconcile fixed assets schedule; provide input on projection of fixed asset purchases
- Collaborate with and provide accounting support to stakeholders across the business
- Perform necessary accruals analysis according to contract terms (both customer and vendor contracts) and provide comments/recommendations on same
- Provide day to day oversight of revenue accounts and accruals
- Ensure the timely, accurate, and complete processing of all AP/AR cycles/activities
- Suggest updates and improvements to accounting systems and processes
- Key contributor to corporate and financial systems selection and implementation (i.e. ERP)
- Lead, mentor and coach the Accounting Specialistto enable success and growth
- Support excise and corporate tax compliance activities. Advise management on operational adjustments due to changes in tax law
- Oversight of the payroll function and serve as backup when necessary
- Participate in and complete special projects and duties as assigned
- 5+ years technical accounting experience with in-depth knowledge of accounting principles and current internal controls frameworks (COSO)
- 1 year leading and growing an accounting team
- BA/BS in Accounting or Finance required + CPA or CMA designation.
- Thorough knowledge of ASPE/IFRS accounting procedures and principles; U.S. GAAP knowledge is a plus
- Strong knowledge of accounting software programs and ERP reporting packages in multi-company and multi-geographical environments
- Strong knowledge of federal tax laws, HST and payroll taxes
- Superior spreadsheet skills and strong knowledge of MS Excel
- An entrepreneurial mindset complementing our start up environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan and prioritize to meet deadlines while being flexible and adaptable to re-prioritize when needed
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Technical Accounting: 5 years (Required)
- CPA or CMA (Required)