Celebrating our 3rd year in Summer Camp operations, Rooks to Cooks is a children’s culinary school based in Toronto. Our programs and services always emphasize themes of healthy eating and teach our students how to live a fulfilling healthy life. Our mission is to empower our students to become more independent and self-sufficient while helping them to find their voice and build self-confidence through learning how to cook/bake.
For Summer 2019, we are looking for fun and enthusiastic Supply or On-Call Culinary Instructors to join our summer cooking day camps. This is a great opportunity if you enjoy a flexible and dynamic work environment. It would be especially suitable for anyone who has a part-time job and is looking to fill some additional hours in your schedule. Also ideal for teachers and retired persons with culinary skills looking for a casual, occasional position during the summer. Supply Sous Chefs will be called and scheduled in to work on the days of the week that we need an additional staff member at one of our locations. Since this is an “on-call” position, the hours will vary throughout the summer. Ideally, you will be given 1-2 days notice in advance of your assignment, however, we may call you on the day that we need you, should one of our employees call in sick. Supply Sous Chefs will be asked to provide their availability schedule to management and they will only be called when they are listed as available. You will be paid hourly for the days that you are called in to work.
Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have the use of a car. With 12 locations of summer cooking day camps, we may need you at any one of our camp locations in the Greater Toronto Area.
Summer camp sessions run for June 24 to August 30, 2019. Camp hours: Monday to Thursday 8:00am - 4:00pm; and Fridays from 8:00am - 8:00pm. No classes are held on the weekends or holidays, allowing you weekend and holidays to spend how you wish all summer long.
Reporting to the Lead Chef, the Supply Sous Chef will be an integral part of our team to assist our campers have a fun summer! You will be working directly under our Lead Chef and assist in providing guidance, oversee activities for campers, and perform many other valuable functions on the job. A full list of the responsibilities is below:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support lead chef in building and maintaining a physically and emotionally safe environment for campers and staff
- Help define and reinforce camp rules and expectations
- Culinary instructor - plan and teach 25 - 50% of all pastry and cooking demonstrations in a fun and interactive manner; deliver large and small group instruction
- Teach campers extensive culinary theory and various culinary skills with enthusiasm and passion
- Supervise and support campers to ensure their safety and accurate execution of the recipes on hand
- Execute daily lessons in a timely and organized manner as prescribed in the head office summer curriculum
- Follow and execute daily prep requirements as defined by the lead chef
- Respond and react professionally to all incidents (i.e. fill out incident report forms)
- Responsible for campers with allergies and dietary restrictions
- Build authentic relationships with campers and their families
- Be a Rooks to Cooks brand ambassador
- Support camp counsellor in the execution of break time games and activities
- Support kitchen assistant in the execution of cleanliness standards as prescribed by head office
- Ensure campers are well fed and kept hydrated throughout day
- Assist lead chef in the auditing of head office food order to keep food costs low and avoid food wastage
- Help manage campers and assist the team during Friday night Pop up restaurant
- Be able to stand for extended periods
- Other duties as assigned
Required Experience & Skills:
- 2+ years of experience working in the culinary industry; Pastry experience is an asset
- 2+ years of experience working with children
- Experience teaching is an asset
- Culinary certificate or its equivalent is an asset
- Passionate and enthusiastic about teaching children how to cook
- Organized, detail-oriented and punctual
- Proactive, reliable and safety conscious
- Excellent communicability and interpersonal skills
- Outgoing and comfortable conversing with others
- Great sense of humour
Required qualifications (Will need to be completed before camp begins):
- A Clear Vulnerable Sectors Screening (police check)
- Red Cross Standard First Aid & CPR certification
- Food Handlers Certificate
Benefits of working for Rooks to Cooks:
- Competitive compensation
- Work with Certified Chefs
- Enjoy your day because you’re working with colleagues that have the same energy and motivation that you have
- Rewarding and meaningful work
- Work Regular hours during the day, M-T 8am-4pm; F 8am-8pm
- Weekends and Holidays Off – a bonus in the Summer months!
- Welcoming and family-oriented culture
- It's fun teaching kids to cook
- Celebrate successes in a supportive environment
- Team of passionate and enthusiastic individuals
- Rapidly growing company with opportunities for growth & learning
- We get to eat what we make!
How to Apply:
Please email your cover letter and resume with qualifications and skills to the attention of Bonnie by email. Please quote “Supply Sous Chef Position – Summer Camp” in the subject line. We thank all applicants, but only those candidates who meet the position requirements will be contacted directly.
Rooks to Cooks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians Disability Act, and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If you are selected for an interview, please advise us of the nature of the accommodation that may be required for your participation.
About Rooks to Cooks:
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary, Casual
Salary: $16.00 to $25.00 /hour